Sunday 21 January 2018

It's Time for Our Final 'End of Year' Polls: Vote for Kate's Best Skirt Suit, Hat & Designer of 2017!

Good evening, are you all having a nice weekend?

We're back with our final 'Best of 2017' polls! With just over a week until the Cambridges' tour of Sweden and Norway, and three interesting engagements scheduled for Kate, I want to wrap up with three final polls: Kate's Best Skirt Suit, Best Designer and Best Hat. At some point next weekend, we'll have the results prepared for our annual 'Kate Fashion Awards' post. It's been insightful to see your choices thus far; I'm looking forward to seeing how you all vote for these...


Best Skirt Suit of 2017

Throughout 2017, Kate debuted a selection of stylish skirt suits and brought back popular looks from her wardrobe. In fact, I think several of her most successful looks from the year fall into the separates category. For a visit to her patronage East Anglia's Children's Hospices in Quidenham last January, Kate looked sophisticated in the rich green Hobbs London Sinead Skirt Suit.


At the Place2Be Big Assembly, the Duchess wore her much-loved red Luisa Spagnoli suit.


It was Oscar de la Renta for the Guild of Heath Writers Conference. The violet skirt suit features a three-quarter sleeve, tailored jacket and is rendered in a wool blend, featuring a pointed collar, dual breast pockets and a pleated, flared hem.


In Wales, the Duchess wore her short and chic Paule Ka suit.


I did a double take when photos started to come in from Kate's visit to Ronald McDonald House in February. She wore a new Rebecca Taylor Sparkle Tweed Suit, which is incredibly similar to another sparkle tweed in the same colour she's worn multiple times by the designer.


Kate gave her gorgeous Eponine London skirt suit a second outing in March for an engagement with Best Beginnings. The top features a boat neck and three-quarter sleeves, while the skirt is A-line. It originally retailed for £1,200. The womenswear brand is "inspired by the elegant lines of the fifties and sixties". Every garment is designed and made in London for women who seek out individuality and who desire to be both chic and contemporary.


For a visit to the Global Academy, Kate selected a smart red skirt suit by Armani Collezioni. Made in Italy, the $848 single-breasted suit features a dart-seam front zip jacket, round collar and pencil skirt. It's a classic Armani suit which could take Kate to a number of engagements.


We mentioned Kate's original Rebecca Taylor Sparkle Tweed Suit earlier in the post. She wore it in June when she visited King's College Hospital to visit those affected by the London Bridge and Borough Market attacks.


During William and Kate's tour of Poland, Kate wore a floral top and midi skirt in Hurst Rose Print by Erdem.


And for the Cambridges' Christmas Card, Duchess Kate wore her bespoke blue Catherine Walker suit.


Kate's Best Skirt Suit of 2017
 
pollcode.com free polls


Best Hat of 2017

The Duchess has quite the collection of hats; from elegant chapeaus to wide brimmed, we saw an array of stylish millinery modelled by the Duchess in 2017. First, it's the lovely £325 navy Tiffany drop-brim hat by Lock & Co, inspired by the iconic Breakfast at Tiffany's. This one is hard to beat and frames Kate's face beautifully.


On St Patrick's Day, the Duchess sported her rich green Lock & Co hat.


Kate wore her black Sylvia Fletcher for Lock & Co. Salsa Fascinator for a service following the Westminster attacks.


For Easter with the Queen at Windsor, the Duchess chose a cream pillbox hat with a signature bow at the back.


It was the Lock & Co 'Sweet Delight' hat for the Queen's Garden Party. The style is 100% woven straw and retailed for £875.


The Duchess wore a bespoke pink hat by milliner Jane Taylor for Pippa's wedding.


I loved Kate's Jane Taylor with exquisite swirling design for Trooping the Colour.


Kate was all white in a new bespoke hat with flower detail for Royal Ascot.


In Belgium for Commemorations, the Duchess chose her Lock & Marisabel hat. It was described as a "piece that has been handcrafted by Sylvia Fletcher, Lock & Co.'s leading milliner. The hat has been sculpted using sinamay and then finished with a curled feather in a matching tone".


And for day two in Belgium, it the Jane Taylor Fleur hat.


It was Kate's wide-brimmed Philip Treacy hat for Remembrance Sunday.


At the Grenfell Tower National Memorial Service, the Duchess sported a new navy hat.


And for Christmas Day, Kate completed her festive look with the Peruvian Connection Vallnord Alpaca Fur Hat.


Kate's Best Hat of 2017
 
pollcode.com free polls

Best Designer of 2017

When I looked back over Kate's wardrobe from 2017, I decided to narrow the 'Best Designer' poll down to three options. It will come as no surprise to see Alexander McQueen front and centre with nine looks by the brand worn by the Duchess last year. Since Kate collaborated with Sarah Burton to create her wedding gown in 2011 the two have enjoyed a splendid fashion relationship which continues to produce regal results in the style department. From the off-the-shoulder gown for the BAFTAs to the elegant white Ascot dress and the vivid pink paperbag dress for Trooping, it's been another year where McQueen reigned supreme. How will the brand fare in the poll?


Jenny Packham remains Queen of the Night when it comes to Kate's evening wear choices. Once again, we saw shimmering bespoke gowns with ornate embellishment ensuring the Duchess sparkled throughout the evening. For the Diplomatic Reception, Packham created an ivory gown for Kate; here's hoping we see it on another occasion! We also saw the designer create a marigold day dress for the Germany leg of the tour.


Last but certainly not least, in 2017 Catherine Walker was cemented as a prominent, signature label in Kate's wardrobe. Owing to a selection of beautifully-tailored, bespoke coats and the gorgeous white floral dress at Wimbledon, the Duchess has become increasingly fond of the brand's timeless, fuss-free looks. The late, Diana, Princess of Wales relied on the brand to create her most iconic looks; as the Duchess transitions into the Princess of Wales, I think we might see the same!


Happy voting! :)

Kate's Best Designer of 2017
 
pollcode.com free polls


We'll see you on Tuesday when the Duchess is to launch a new mental health project for young children - the latest initiative from Heads Together - during a visit to Roe Green Junior School in Brent.

45 comments:

  1. Erdem made all of my favorite outfits this year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I clicked publish too soon on the previous post, but thank you for putting the polls together and for everything you do, Charlotte! I’ve been a huge fan of your blog for years and never miss a post πŸ’•

      Delete
  2. If there were a category for ‘most improved,’ I’d give it to Catherine Walker. Usually I’m not a huge fan of her designs, but with the exception of one coat dress, I loved everything of hers that Kate wore last year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m the same! I didn’t particularly like the cornflower blue coat dress that she wore in Berlin, but I think Kate really took it up a notch with Catherine Walker last year. I was impressed overall by the designs.

      Delete
    2. Kiwi Gal & US Reader - agree with you on the Cornflower blue coat dress.

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Charlotte, for the hat poll! I was so excited to get to vote for the bespoke white hat for royal ascot. It's one of my favorite Kate hats ever. Runner up was the Lock & Co Marisabel hat worn in Belgium. I'm so happy Kate embraced separates this year - in years past this poll wouldn't have been possible. Maybe for 2018 we'll be able to do a best pants (not-skinny jean) poll (wishful thinking on my part maybe). I love Kate's coat dresses, but it was nice to see some new professional options. In the end (even with the controversy), I decided to vote the Erdem floral top and midi skirt from Poland (my issue was with the open toed sandals, never the print/separates). Best designer in my opinion was Catherine Walker - I adored the Easter Sunday coat and really all her coats for Kate. McQueen had my favorite dress (black from Paris), but also my biggest misses of the year (Trooping the Colour pink, red dress from Germany, and the Bafta dress). Normally, I'm Jenny Packham all the way, but did not like her icy blue Elsa dresses (wish we could have gotten a look at the white gown). The yellow was a great look in Germany though that I hope we see again. I am so excited to see the results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, I voted almost the same way! I wanted to vote for the Erdem separates she wore in Poland, but like you, I couldn’t get on board with the sandals she paired them with. So I chose the ODLR violet suit - the colour is gorgeous on Kate & I really miss her beautiful, long locks! I hope she grows her hair out after baby Cambridge #3 arrives.
      The Ascot hat is my absolute favourite! :) And I would like to see Kate wear a lot more Catherine Walker. She always looks sophisticated & stylish in that brand. I think McQueen & Jenny Packham are getting a bit stale, although I still love some of their looks.

      Delete
  4. Tammy from California21 January 2018 at 23:38

    If I never see the hat that was worn on Christmas Day, it would be good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steph from Canberra22 January 2018 at 00:20

    I found the separates the most difficult of all your polls, Charlotte! So many beautiful options. In the end,I just couldn't choose between the green Hobbs and the Oscar de la Renta - the gorgeous floral Erdem a close third. Not as keen on the Armani, for some reason I find it a little cold, I feel it lacks the warmth of some of the other outfits.

    Looking back on 2017 makes me excited for what's to come this year - I think it's going to be a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't really like the suits so I didn't vote for any. She's had the red one for years and I've voted for it in the past, but it seemed odd to keep voting for it.

    I voted for the pillbox hat because most of the rest weren't exactly hats.

    As for the designers, I didn't vote for anyone there either. I really couldn't come up with someone I thought was better than the others. And not because I was spoiled for choice. Although there were a couple of great looks.

    Signed,
    Seriously Underwhelmed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca - Sweden22 January 2018 at 13:58

      I still voted for the red suit again. Still love it!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the fun post! Really had a hard time with the designers. Like them all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Charlotte for your wonderful post! It is so enjoyable to see a potted version of the years styles and fashions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow look at that i love all the collection of her style looking forward seeing her 2018 style hmm i love all recycle clothes too

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Charlotte, these are such fun posts :) I love suits, and there were so many wonderful looks, so it was hard to choose. My favorite though was the Catherine Walker blue suit. For the hats...many beautiful ones, but my favorite was an older one. The black Philip Treacy hat. Kate can wear large hats really, really well...so that is why I chose this one...it suits her, it compliments her. The other large hats are great too, but I just like the design of this one. Then for best designer...Catherine Walker. To me, Catherine Walker is simple and classy. You can’t go wrong with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, I voted the exact same way this time around. While there were many lovely hats to choose from, I thought the black Philip Treacy stood out for how well it suited Kate and the event. The Lock & Co hat was also part of a beautifully styled outfit - a dream for those of us who adore blue!

      Thank you for another great poll, Charlotte.

      Delete
  11. Caroline in Montana22 January 2018 at 05:10

    I am shocked! I actually picked the winners in all categories except the hats, that never happens:) I’m ususlly in the minority. Really liked her looks last year. Looking forward to the upcoming tour!! Thanks for all your hard work Charlotte!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope Kate excites us this year with her fashion choices. Last year was a treat, as we saw her debut ODLR, Gucci & Dolce & Gabbana but I’d love to see her branch out to more brands/labels. I’m getting a bit bored with Erdem, McQueen & Jenny Packham. And I don’t want to necessarily see her in just high-end labels either. I think Eponine is a good label for her as they have a vintage feel. And I loved the Markus Lupfer dress she wore in Germany. More edgier European brands would be great! I’m excited to see what she’ll wear in Sweden & Norway :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, she didn’t debut D&G last year - I forgot about her lace dresses!

      Delete
    2. Rebecca - Sweden22 January 2018 at 13:59

      I love Eponine as well! I hope she introduces me to some other smaller british brands this year as well :)

      Delete
  13. I love Catherine Walker and Jenny Packham designs on Kate as they never fail to impress. They also encapsulate Kate's style so well, elegant and polished.

    However, I must say that the more I look at pictures of Kate's pale blue CW skirt suit, the more I am convinced that it is a dress and jacket rather than a skirt and jacket. I noticed that when she wore it in the Netherlands, I could see the straps of the dress at the back through the jacket ever so slightly. Also when she bent over to chat to the kids who waited for her, there was no sign of a hem or a zip or anything indicating the top half of a skirt. Unlike with the green Hobbs skirt suit, we could see the top half of the skirt. I could be wrong but it's just an observation.

    I do hope that Kate continues using skirt suits once the baby is born as it's such a professional look for her. I love the hat polls as well, my favourite was the cream pillbox hat worn at Easter but I also loved the Jane Taylor hat she wore in Belgium. Both were splendid in my opinion :)

    Love Avee in SA

    ReplyDelete
  14. Julia from Leominster22 January 2018 at 09:27

    With the exception of the too short Paule Ke (whose best outfits are being worn by Stephanie of Luxembourg) and the floral Erdem which seems in a separate category, most of these suits were correct enough but didn't arouse as much enthusiasm in me as the coats, dresses and gowns. I found myself voting for the Oscar de la Renta even though I would have liked the flared skirt longer - I loved the colour and it was different. I supposed the red suit would lead - and found the fit a bit off in the sleeves. The Walker looked nice in the portrait but when worn in the Netherlands the year before - it creased too easily. I do like Kate in suits - perhaps it is a good sign of consistency nothing stood out.

    I think there is some Packham fatigue amongst many of us - the two gowns were so similar and so like others, as pretty as they were. I've always admired Walker whilst feeling Kate hadn't always chosen from their best until recently - this year she has selected some wonderful outfits - I loved the St Patrick's coat and the white for Easter, the black for the Festival and the beautiful but subdued grey, not to mention the charming dress. I do feel they deserve to win.

    Looking forward to the coming engagements this week - alas for the tour - my favourite Norway and Sweden where we have close friends - we will be off holidaying that week and will see how good the Internet service is.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats to Eugenie & Jack! Eugenie looks stunning & I adore her engagement ring! Thanks for sharing it on Twitter, Charlotte :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful news! 2018 is going to be one memorable royal year :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, congratulations to the happy couple! Her engagement ring is gorgeous 😍

      Delete
    3. So excited for another royal wedding in 2018! Wonder what tiara we will get to see.

      Delete
    4. I share your sentiments Kiwi Gal!! Eugenie looks completely happy and very elegant. The ring is beautiful!! It will be a memorable year for the royal family for sure!! cc

      Delete
    5. I am so happy for Eugenie and Jack. Their interview remarks were so sweet. The ring is gorgeous. Congratulations to a very lovely couple who definitely love each other.

      Delete
    6. Caroline in Montana22 January 2018 at 20:23

      I am also excited about this! she is a favorite of mine, i think she is very beautiful and she seems so down to earth. I also loved her ring!! So glad to have another royal wedding:)

      Delete
    7. She looks gorgeous in those engagement photos. Her hair looks wonderful. The color and the style. Great photos of the couple.

      Delete
    8. I love these photographs. The color of her lovely lovely ring is picked up in the room, his tie and flowers on her dress. Beautiful and tasteful. I think the wedding won't disappoint. Delightful to see them look so happy.

      Delete
    9. Definitely beautiful and tasteful, Erika. This is what engagement photos look like when Granny is Queen. :-)

      Delete
    10. 😊😊

      Delete
  16. Such an awesome year for the BRF! Two weddings & two babies...so excited :D I’ll stop spamming now LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But also true! Such fun news this morning!

      Delete
  17. I agree! TWO weddings!! TWO babies!! Our cups runneth over! ❤😊

    ReplyDelete
  18. Upon looking at the pillbox hat again, I think it needed to be up on her head more and the bun elevated and smaller also.
    I think she was wearing the hat wrong. lol
    Just like I would like to see her ponytails up higher, perkier. Not middle of the head school marmish. She still always looks beautiful but those slight adjustments would make a huge difference in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So happy to see these polls, they are always exciting to view the results. While I much prefer Kate's coat dresses, there was a big mix with suiting this last year. The blue Catherine Walker is beautiful, but it seemed in its own category and didn't hold up well on the trip to Amsterdam. I voted for the Eponine because I think it best fit the separates suiting category and enjoyed the vintage vibe (shades of Mary Tyler Moore come to mind); kind of a working girl professional look vs. the coat dress formal royal look. I love all of Kate's hats, but voted for the Tiffany Lock Brim Hat, a different look from others and evoked Audrey Hepburn timeless elegance. Alexander McQueen had different and interesting designs, but in the end Catherine Walker was, to me, the most consistently elegant designer and Kate looked beautiful in all of them. Thank you Charlotte for all the effort you put forth to let us participate in these polls. cc

    ReplyDelete
  20. Zora from Prague22 January 2018 at 19:47

    Thank you, Charlotte, for yet another vote! And I'm also grateful because through your blog (and Kiwi Gal! :) ) I also got to know about Princess Eugenie and her fiancΓ©! Great news!! I believe HM+PP are really happy for their grandchildren!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree with several posters, the choice of best suit was the most difficult of choices. I changed my mind several times. I did not vote for the Spagnoli because I have in the past and because I preferred the shorter length of the original wearing. Moving on to the hats, I was more struck by the hairstyles. There were hats I liked, but could not get past the rigid and overly structured updos. Many of the hats would have looked better in the previously favored half up style. I voted for the black Phillip Treacy. And I am in the camp that hopes Catherine grows her hair long again.

    Thank you for putting these polls together. So fun.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations to princess eugeine its going a great and memorable year for the BRF and a good and fantastic year for them i love the enagement ring and her dress two qedding and two royal babies what a great year for them

    ReplyDelete
  23. I couldn't pass up the gorgeous saturated color of the ODLR, so voted for that. Plus, I think her hair looked perfect that evening. She should wear it long and straight more often.

    As for the hats, I can't get excited about any of the perchers or berets. Nothing is standing out among the larger hats for me, so I voted for Tammy from CA's dreaded Alpaca Fur 😊 I think its a great winter alternative and it looks nice on Kate as it softly frames her face.

    I couldnt vote for any of the designers though since I only liked one or two pieces from each.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I voted for the CW blue suit, the Christmas hat, and CW as best designer.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! Constructive discussion is always encouraged but off topic or hateful remarks will not be published.

We ask you use a name when posting (a pseudonym such as the name of a royal you like or anything you wish). If you do not wish to use the sign in options, simply select the "Name/URL" option on the drop down menu and insert your name, and if you wish the country/state you're from. You can leave the URL blank.

If there are a large number of comments, it is necessary to click the 'Load More' button at the end of the comments section to see the latest additions.