Thursday 4 May 2023

Kate Talks Getting "Ducks in a Row" for Coronation Amid Visit to the Dog & Duck Pub

With just days to go until the Coronation, the Prince and Princess of Wales were in Soho today.

In an unexpected surprise for those travelling on the tube at lunchtime, none other than the Prince and Princess of Wales joined them on the Elizabeth Line from Acton Main Line to Tottenham Court Road.

You might recall this time last year, Her late Majesty (looking resplendent in yellow) visited the Paddington Elizabeth Line with the Earl of Wessex. I was reminded of the engagement; one of her final public events.

It was revealed the crossrail line would be named Elizabeth in honour of Queen Elizabeth II in 2016.

Andy Lord, Commissioner of Transport for London said he was "really delighted" to host the Prince and Princess of Wales on their "first trip on the Elizabeth Line". Mr Lord said the couple had the opportunity to speak to a number of frontline colleagues, adding they were "really impressed" with the train service. As for fellow commuters, they were "surprised" before the phone came out to catch a glimpse of the moment :)

The couple boarded using their Oyster cards (payment method for public transport).

ITV reports:

"Kate was spotted using an Oyster card as they boarded the Tube at Acton Main Line in west London, chatting to Transport for London (TfL) workers about their plans for the busy bank holiday weekend when tens of thousands of people are expected in the capital."

Speaking to a fellow passenger about Coronation preparations, the Princess said: "It’s going to be a busy time. We’re getting there. I still feel like we’re trying to get ducks in a row."

The Mirror reports: "Kensington Palace also invited tube and train enthusiast, Francis Bourgeois, whose real name is Luke, to ride on the train with William and Kate as an observer. He has more than a million followers on Instagram, and royal aides said it was hoped he might bring the experience to a 'younger audience'."

Embed from Getty Images

More from the Mail Online:

'Once on board the train, they sat with a group of TFL workers, including David Pearce, a fleet manager, Liam Grindley, a service and infrastructure manager and Maria Serco, a maintenance engineer.

Speaking about her conversation with Miss Spinola, Kate told the group: 'It's nice to meet a female train driver, obviously a profession women are keen on getting into.

'She said the job was advertised on Mumsnet.'

Royal aides revealed members of the Royal family do occasionally travel the tube privately.

Embed from Getty Images

William and Kate arrived in Soho to cheers.

An arrival video.

The couple visited the Dog & Duck Pub to see how it's preparing for the Coronation weekend.

Prince William tried his hand behind the bar, pouring a "perfect pint" of Kingmaker, a special brew to celebrate the Coronation.

Hello! reports:

Talking with local businessmen as he sipped a pint in the pub, William said: "You always have the best conversations in pubs – you never know who you are going to meet."

He also joked that he would have to watch how much he drank and "get back into work mode".

The Dog & Duck is one of several pubs owned by the Nicholsons Group and this year celebrates its 150th anniversary. The collection of pubs are hosting events in locations around the United Kingdom to celebrate the historic royal occasion.

Embed from Getty Images

William and Kate spent time with staff and representatives from the group.

Embed from Getty Images

Kate enjoyed a sip from her pint and praised the "fantastic atmosphere".

The hospitality sector was one of the most severely impacted by the pandemic and lockdown. Sadly, many businesses were unable to recover and ultimately closed their doors. According to the BBC, twelve venues have shuttered every day over the past year. It's hoped the Coronation weekend, with the Bank Holiday and positive impact on tourism, will offer a boon for the industry. According to the Business Leader, hotels, restaurants, cafes and pubs could benefit from up to £2.6 billion.

Embed from Getty Images

Danilo Mangano, Managing Director, International at SevenRooms, told Business Leader: "As the data shows, it is clear that people are keen to celebrate the Coronation by taking full advantage of the additional bank holiday in May this year. While we’re seeing a general trend towards consumers focusing on the quality of their hospitality experiences amid the cost of living crisis, the Coronation is giving them an excuse to enjoy themselves. They’re also willing to spend more on unique and out-of-the-box experiences which are being offered by many venues across the UK to celebrate this momentous occasion. This reflects a wider trend towards experience-led dining and the desire for that something special. With many venues going the extra mile for the Coronation, restaurants that know their customers best and tailor menus for special events will continue to reap the benefits of guests’ appetite for outstanding hospitality experiences in the future."

Embed from Getty Images

Afterwards, the Prince and Princess met members of the public on Frith Street.

Embed from Getty Images

Kate told one member of the crowd Prince George is "excited" about his upcoming role as page boy.

Embed from Getty Images

The Princess told another well-wisher, "The children are having their Coronation celebration at school today."

Embed from Getty Images

Describing the atmosphere as "wonderful", Kate noted the excitement was already starting to build.

Embed from Getty Images

It was quite fun to see people bringing their pets along :)

Embed from Getty Images

Kate discussing the possibility of very British weather and feeling slightly nervous about the weekend.

As one can imagine, the selfie requests were off-the-charts today.

Embed from Getty Images

People writes:

'Of all the people visiting London for the crowning, Prince William said, "We have a lot of visitors. We are getting people from all over the world. Fantastic." He also spoke some French to one couple, saying simple phrases such as "hello" and "how are you."

"His French is not that good," Maud Garmy says.

Amid weather reports predicting some rain for the coronation weekend, Prince William told the crowd, "Crossing fingers for the weather!"'

This video offers an idea of the scale of the crowd; it was a truly wonderful welcome in Soho.

The Princess was in familiar pieces which made for an elegant, summery ensemble.

Kate wore her tailored Eponine London Mandarin Collar coat. The vibrant piece from Eponine London's Autumn/Winter 2018 collection is described as a "wool crepe coat featuring three-quarter length sleeves".

Below, the Princess wearing the coat for a 2021 Hold Still engagement.

Underneath, Kate wore her Suzannah Wiggle dress. I loved the retro 1940s/1950s feel to this piece. Below, the Princess wearing it for Wimbledon in 2019.

The £1,850 dress is made from Italian silk crepe and is lined throughout the bodice and skirt in lightweight silk habotai. It's described as: "A re-interpretation from our own archive. The original inspiration derives from a late 1940’s Wiggle Dress, which we have re-cut to have a skimming fit over the bodice and fluid gentle soft movement throughout the skirt hemline. The silhouette is contoured around the waist with delicate pin-tucks. Pin-tucks are also placed at the front yoke detail. The dress is designed to be an elegant tea-length. The silhouette has beautiful half sleeves with buttoned cuff. Contrasting silk covered buttons are a simple closure and a beautiful delicate feature, with the buttons working from double to single breasted down the centre front."

Kate carried her white Mulberry Amberley bag.

Kate accessorised with her Maria Black Cha Cha pearl and gold earrings. They are available here.

Kate completed the look with her white leather Jimmy Choo Romy 85 pumps.

I'm expecting to see the Prince and Princess for both the luncheon and pre-coronation reception at Buckingham Palace. I'll also have a detailed look at the Coronation schedule and plans for blog coverage on Saturday :)

44 comments:

  1. That's a CROWD

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of one of my favorite engagements of the, then, Duchess of Cambridge. When she requested to go along with the late Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh to the London underground in recognition of its 150th anniversary. I wonder if she thought of that day on this one; riding on the Elizabeth line. A lovely, poignant touch either way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Other photos show a bright blue lining to the coat. Kate being very patriotic leading up to the Coronation! Now fingers crossed for a long gown on Saturday, with a tiara, or at least major jewels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. Fingers crossed for the same attire. It seems a little silly to admit that I will be disappointed with a day length dress and hat.
      Also, it would be nice to see Sophie get a different tiara. I don't care for some of her limited past choices.

      Delete
    2. I'll be so disappointed too. I understand being tasteful. But if not for this, then when?

      Delete
    3. Yes, poor Sophie’s worn some real clunkers when it comes to tiaras and jewelry. I hope to see her in something different!

      Delete
    4. I agree with all of the comments. If ever there is a occasion for the jewels to come out of the vaults it's the coronation. Also agree about The Duchess of Edinburgh, she really hasn't been given anything. That stuck together tiara and the aquarium one. The Duchess of York was gifted a tiara, necklace, earrings and bracelet from the late Queen and Prince Philip. Princess Diana was gifted pieces for life from the Royal collection. I was always baffled by how little Sophie was given access to, especially when you consider how close she was to the Queen. The new Princess of Wales has been allowed to wear some beautiful pieces of jewelry and very personal to the Queen, example her wedding bracelet from Prince Philip. There's unworn jewellery in the vaults from Queen Mary, Queen Alexandra and others. Then you have the rest of the Grenville bequest and all the gifts of jewelry that have been given. Hopefully with Sophie now being The Duchess of Edinburgh, The King will provide a selection of jewels for her. She has been working very hard for years for The Crown. I did notice she was wearing one of the late Queen's diamond necklaces at the last state visit. Time will tell. S.🙂.

      Delete
  4. I am on the 8.01 train into London tomorrow to bag a spot for the Coronation. Beyond excited to see the parade and the Royals on Saturday. It is going to be a fantastic day :) PS: loving this engagement today, William and Catherine have my heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you would like to share, I for one, would absolutely love to hear about your in person experience on the historic day.

      Delete
  5. Love the engagement and watching videos of the interactions. This coat is gorgeous on her! Fun different styling. Getting so excited! Sue from IL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how this coat helps her stand out from the crowd. So excited for the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Charlotte,
    I've been a silent reader on this blog for years now and just wanted to say thank you! I always love reading your posts and learning something new. I am really looking forward to Saturday and reading your blog post later that day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a crowd.Catherine is so natural like a breath of fresh air!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always wonder if Kate has pinch me moments. Like watching her talk to the crowd about them getting a spot for the coronation and she gets to be front row and center. Since Kate married into the royal family and didn't grow up in it I can just imagine it has to feel surreal at times. So many historical moments and she is front and center for them instead of in the crowds. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it must be surreal. Like performing a part on the stage, sometimes.

      Delete
  10. Sarah from California4 May 2023 at 18:52

    Sooo exciting! As always Kate looks beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  11. She always looks fabulous. I just have a thing about ladies wearing white shoes. I would have preferred a red shoe but I realize her shoes match her bag. She's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A perfect engagement for them.

    I will say I’m not a fan of her outfit. I’m very down on white pumps generally, but combining a white summery dress and handbag with a heavy-looking red long overcoat doesn’t make sense to me. The coat looked great with the camel outfit on its previous outing, and I think it’s a sweet looking dress, but together it’s a miss.

    As for Saturday, I’m starting to picture Kate in an outfit similar to what Camilla wore on her wedding day, a brocade or embroidered floor length coat or coatdress with metallic threads.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Becca in Colorado4 May 2023 at 19:55

    While my feelings on the monarchy are not what they once were, I just wanted to say that I'm so grateful for your blogs, Charlotte, and am looking forward to following the coverage of this historic event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allison in US5 May 2023 at 00:40

      I have so many feelings about the coronation and they do not include affection for C&C, but I do have enormous respect for Charlotte's work. Seems like this is so close to the jubilee and the funeral that it could have been postponed for a year, but I love Charlotte's love for history and all the fascinating details. I'm anxious to read the blogs. :)

      Delete
    2. Becca in Colorado5 May 2023 at 16:21

      Agreed, Allison!

      Delete
  14. She looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Her personality and happiness shines through!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Princess Catherine also wore this coat when the Wales family (minus Louis) visited Wales, following the Queen's death. It had the blue lining then too. I was wondering if it had been added, but no. Beautiful coat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing that. I thought there was a second time but I couldn't recollect the event. I believe she wore navy with the red coat at that outing. Elle

      Delete
  17. Now, that's what I want: to head to a pub and be able to claim I'm working! I'd be taking more than a sip of the offerings, however. After the days I've had lately, I'm sorely in need of some relaxing refreshment.

    I've always liked that Eponine coat, with its sleek, clean lines. The vibrant color's terrific. I guessed that the Princess was wearing the Suzannah Wiggle dress underneath, and I like it, too (I admire Suzannah's retro designs), but I have to agree with another poster: the lightweight dress and the heavier coat somehow don't quite work together.

    I think the problem might have been alleviated had the Princess worn black heels, which would have worked better with the coat and also picked up the black trim of the dress. A small black bag would have worked as well. Perhaps it's true that she was trying to wear patriotic colors, and black would have interfered with the scheme, but I have always disliked white heels, and these work even less well with the bright-red coat than the dress does. (I've worn white heels once in my life, with my wedding dress. I got rid of them immediately afterwards.)

    I'm completely at sea as to how people are going to dress for the coronation. It may be that most female guests will wear formal day dress with hats, so that the royals only will be in long dresses with tiaras; or perhaps the royals will also "dress down" for this shorter, less-formal-than-is-traditional event. I suppose I'll just have to wait and be surprised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My prediction is-
      Tiaras, jewels, and gala gowns for the Friday evening reception, and day wear, albeit very special day wear, for the coronation.
      We will see if I'm correct!
      No matter what the ladies are wearing, it will be a beautiful, regal, and historic day.

      Delete
    2. My fingers and toes are crossed and I hope to see lots of beautiful jewels and elegant dresses on the ladies and I'm hoping the visiting royals wear their beautiful jewels too, if you've got them flaunt them I say ; ) Sue in WA

      Delete
    3. I certainly hope that your latter prediction is wrong. A coronation is meant to be majestic, over-the-top, gorgeous, and luxurious. I hope that they wear floor-length gowns to the Abbey. If I had to choose between tiaras or full-length gowns, I would 100000% choose gowns!

      Delete
  18. I want to know how Catherine wears such a fitted coat over that dress and manages to not have any lumps or bumps, especially in the area of the puffed sleeves! It’s flawless. I have trouble even wearing a button-down shirt under a sweater or blazer without looking lumpy! Kim in Saratoga, USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That silk fabric is very thin and light. The dress sleeves wouldn't be bulky at all, especially since the coat is made of heavier fabric and would compress them.

      Delete
  19. This is a well made, good quality coat, streamlined, very elegant. She looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful coat with great fit and details. The white shoes are terrible but can appreciate the patriotic colors.

    ReplyDelete
  21. At first I didn't like the white shoes, but seeing the blue lining peeping out on the coat, it makes more sense. Very patriotic! I can't imagine wearing white shoes on a pub floor, haha...considering the pubs I've been to while visiting the UK! I'm sure this floor got a good scrubbing before our princess arrived.
    She looks beautiful, as always. Happy and excited. I hope the ceremony and festivities all go off perfectly. I love being an American girl, but I must admit a bit of envy towards my friends in the UK this weekend. Enjoy, everyone!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG!!! I absolutely loved this!! Such a darling girl. They both looked so relaxed and elated to talk and be about with everyone who came in to visit them!!! I’m so very excited for the Coronation!!!! Can’t wait to see how she looks and the children! ♥️🥰

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely coat, I've never been a fan of this particular dress so I'm glad we only saw a little bit of it, but I too am not a fan of white pumps and I think if the shoes were red or the colour of the lining that would have been nice. Bag and earrings gorgeous love a pretty pearl drop earring. Quietly excited for the coronation. Sue in WA

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a beautiful color of red on Kate! I love the whole outfit! So excited for Saturday! Charlotte, this is the first place I always come every day and especially big events. You always do an amazing job! Thank you in advance for all your hard work covering everything this weekend. Looking forward to all the lovely posts.

    Joanne in CA

    ReplyDelete
  25. A fun read! An American from New York, in the UK for the Coronation, giving a blow-by-blow of meeting Kate. Her dream come true! If it's not at the top, keep scrolling. There are pictures. https://crownandcambridge.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am so excited for the Coronation weekend. What a glorious pomp the royals have prepared for us! I love how patriotic Kate went for the engagement with her clothing. I can't wait for what she has in store for Saturday. I usually really strongly dislike white accessories and I still prefer the first outing of the coat, but today the meaning overtook and I love the outfit as a whole. I get a little sentimental thinking about how much Kate has grown into her role and how she basically carries the weight of royals' future on her back. She has navigated carefully but flawlessly. What a person to look up to (with William, of course, but I feel like these two are what keeps the younger audience watching and supporting). Ella

    ReplyDelete
  27. A bit off topic for the visit. I am away for work and this evening went to see an exhibition of Andy Wahol photographs. As a bonus in the Art Gallery's own collection of paintings is a full length portrait of George the Third on his coronation day, certainly would fulfilled the dreams of those who like gorgeousness. He wore gold clothes with ermine robes. It made me reflect how individual are the choices for each coronation and how we should let it be a day that is an expression of the monarch at the time. I would like to think in a couple of centuries someone will look at images of Charles on his coronation day and say perhaps that that is the King who was instrumental in furthering awareness of climate change and his interests and passions are reflected in his choices for the day. Certainly when I looked at George the third's attire I could see how we then had the extravagance of George the fourth and the regency era.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The coat is gorgeous, the dress work under, am not a fan of those white pumps. I think nude or red shoes or a different lighter style white shoe would have worked better. ali

    ReplyDelete
  29. Susan in Florida5 May 2023 at 16:38

    Oh thank you Charlotte for adding all these video clips. 🌹🌹🌹🌹 It helps take the edge off for more tomorrow. The Wales look so at ease meeting people. I would love to taste the Kingmaker brew.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Both Catherine and Princess Mary of Denmark look great in red

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! Constructive discussion is always encouraged but off topic or hateful remarks will not be published.

We ask you use a name when posting (a pseudonym such as the name of a royal you like or anything you wish). If you do not wish to use the sign in options, simply select the "Name/URL" option on the drop down menu and insert your name, and if you wish the country/state you're from. You can leave the URL blank.

If there are a large number of comments, it is necessary to click the 'Load More' button at the end of the comments section to see the latest additions.