Wednesday 1 March 2023

It's Welsh Red & a Leek Brooch for the Princess of Wales on St David's Day

Happy St David's Day to all celebrating!

Fresh from a day of engagements in South Wales yesterday, the Prince and Princess of Wales were back on home turf in Windsor to visit the Welsh Guards in Combermere Barracks.

The couple were in attendance due to William's new role as Colonel of the Welsh Guards, a title previously held by his father.

It meant Kate took on the position as Colonel of the Irish Guards previously held by her husband (we should see her first official appearance in the role on St Patrick's Day).

William and Kate arriving.

Kate was presented with flowers by Elis-Haf Cunningham -- daughter of WO2 Cunningham.

Kate spent time with families.

And especially enjoyed chatting with the children.

The Prince presented Leeks (the National emblem of Wales) to officers and guardsmen who in turn issued it along the ranks. The age-old tradition dates back to the Dark Age Welsh King Cadwaladr, who when approached by the enemy ordered his soldiers to distinguish themselves by wearing leeks that were growing nearby.

The regimental cap badge is the leek.

The Princess was presented with her own Leek emblem.

Prince William took the Royal Salute.

The official Army website notes: "The Welsh Guards have a dual role. We are Light Role Infantry, allowing us to lead from the front as a mobile and flexible attack force and deploy on operations around the world. We are also world class ceremonial soldiers, guarding the Royal Family and Royal palaces such as Buckingham Palace and the Tower of London and conducting State Ceremonial duties. Our red tunics and bearskins are recognisable all over the world."

The Welsh Guards was formed in 1915 by order of King George V. Over the past century they have distinguished themselves and joined in practically every British Army campaign since World War I. Notable points in their history include winning battle honours in the Falklands War in 1982 and leading the assault during Operation Panchai Palang in Afghanistan. They celebrated their centenary in 2015.

In 2020, 1st Battalion paraded for Queen Elizabeth II's birthday at Windsor Castle, marking the first unit to celebrate a sovereign’s birthday in Windsor since Queen Victoria’s birthday in 1895.

The motto of the Regiment is “Cymru Am Byth” which translates to “Wales Forever”.

On Facebook today, the regiment shared: "Happy St David’s Day to all of our serving members of the Battalion, families, veterans, brother sisters serving in other Welsh Regiments and fans of the Regiment! Today we celebrate the patron Saint of Wales and honour the rich heritage and culture of this amazing and proud nation."

Saint David, patron Saint of Wales, was born into an aristocratic family in Caerfai. He was a much-loved teacher and went on to found twelve monasteries. David's last words to the community of monks were: "Brothers be ye constant. The yoke which with single mind ye have taken, bear ye to the end; and whatsoever ye have seen with me and heard, keep and fulfil."

Festivities on St David's day include wearing daffodils (the national flower of Wales) and leeks, eating Welsh cakes, rarebit and wearing traditional Welsh dress. Every year an increasing number of parades take place. Schoolchildren take part in concerts and songs are sung. Last year, William and Kate marked the day with engagements in Wales.

I expect the St David's Day Parade will became a new tradition.

During a speech William said he was "honoured" to join the Welsh Guards today. "At the same time, I'm sorry that my father couldn't be here with us here today to say farewell, but I know he would talk of his fierce pride and admiration for you all, and of his own sadness to be moving on from an appointment he held so dear since 1975."

William continued: "Another key milestone in my life was also shared with the Welsh Guards, this time in the jungles of Belize as I received my A-Level results over the Bowman Radio… Many of you will know the feeling of being in the jungle; you're incredibly hot, continuously soaking wet and with nowhere to hide from potentially horrendous results, it could have been a really bad day! Ultimately though, it was the camaraderie, the togetherness and, of course, the banter of the Welsh Guards that got me through that period, and it's a time I look back on fondly."

In a statement today, the regiment said: "St David’s Day traditionally marks the start of Spring and this year for the Guards it is a marker of their change of role from operational to ceremonial duties. The Battalion has spent the last two years fully committed to their combat infantry role across the world. Now begins a countdown to demonstrating their ceremonial excellence in front of a global audience. The dual role soldiers will soon begin preparations for the new King’s Birthday Parade at which they will Troop their Colour." They are "looking forward" to the Coronation of their former Royal Colonel and now their Colonel in Chief, the King.

Commanding Officer Lieutenant Colonel John Livesey said: "St David's Day is a particularly key date for the Welsh Guards. It was on 1 March 1915 that we mounted our first King's Guard and began our service to the Monarch. It is therefore particularly special and fitting that on St David's Day we get to welcome HRH The Prince of Wales into the family as our new Royal Colonel." He closed with regiment motto "Wales Forever" (Cymru Am Byth).

The Band of the Welsh Guards playing at the reception.

Kate was impressed by a young boy named Thomas's backflip.

The Mail Online writes:

'She asked his parents ‘who he gets his back-flipping talents from’ and Thomas responded that he had taught himself. The primary school pupil explained to the royal visitor that he was really into ‘parkour’, a popular type of ‘free running’ that involves athletically vaulting, jumping and climbing over obstacles to get from one point to another as quickly as possible.

Kate – who had referred to it as dancing - said ‘not dancing sorry - I need to learn all this lingo I’m not very good at it’.

Speaking after the parade, Thomas’ father, Sergeant Gareth Lucas, joked that it was typical behaviour for his son, calling him ‘non-stop’.

Pointing at both of his boys, he said: ’They’re both into parkour now, they go to classes every week. ‘Thomas self-taught himself backflips on YouTube - he just came home from school one day saying ‘I’ve learned to do a backflip’”.'

The couple sat for an official photograph.

A closer look.

The Princess of Wales was regal in Welsh red.

Kate's Alexander McQueen coat (with thanks to UFO No More) is a custom version of the brand's asymmetric hem, double-breasted, slim-fit coat. Kate's piece has a different even hem. The sold out coat can be viewed at Selfridges.

Kate's dress underneath is red, and I suspect also McQueen. As noted by readers, the black portion appears to be her scarf. We can see a glimpse of it below with Kate's Gianvito Rossi suede boots.

The Princess carried her black Mulberry Amberley bag.

Kate shopped her wardrobe (all the way back to William's Sandhurst Parade in 2006) for her black gloves today.

Embed from Getty Images

Found By Bojana via Twitter notes they are by designer Evica Milovanov-Penezic who once revealed Kate saw her gloves in a small shop in London and returned to buy them...in addition to another nine pairs of her designs. Evica works with a number of brands including Roksanda.

The Princess selected an elegant black hat by Juliette Botterill Millinery. 

Her Asprey London Daisy earrings. The £17,000 pair are described as: "Individually set micro marquise diamond petals and a pavé diamond centre, all set in 18ct white gold."

And an intricate updo.

Very fittingly, Kate completed the look with a leek brooch. There are several leek brooches frequently worn by royal ladies in the family. I'll update when I know if this is one worn by Queen Elizabeth II or another.

A lovely first St David's Day for the new Prince and Princess of Wales.

A reader just asked if William and Kate will participate in Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marie's visit to the UK and the answer is yes. Christin Z confirms the Waleses will meet them tomorrow. 

54 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning! And I must say William in uniform!wow!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!..... Wow!!! He looks every bit, the future king!! xoxo

      Delete
  2. She looks absolutely fabulous in that group photo with the whole regiment - the red coat looks smashing against the gray uniforms and it also had a military air.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't believe it when I saw those gloves again. Just like the red houndstooth jacket from a few days ago, I love seeing the old stuff. Also, I think it's just a red skirt or dress underneath. I think the black is the ends of her scarf. Who knows though?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is brilliant! I'm a big fan of re-wears but completely understand that today was a day for new clothes, etc. I'm really hoping we'll see that dress properly at some point. It's really good progress for them doing an away day on Tuesday, a military event Wednesday and meeting visitors to the UK on Thursday. Very promising.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hat ❤, the gloves ❤❤ (I LOVE them), the coat ❤ and hair are perfection. I knew about the daffodil but was unaware of the significance of leeks, thank you for sharing that history Charlotte!

    Border Terrier lover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, dear Anonymous, my thoughts!

      Delete
  6. I like those earrings -- I do like marquise diamonds! They have been busier since their title change, as expected.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It seems that her dress (underneath her coat) is red; the black fabric appears to be from her scarf. I have noticed that Kate and many celebrities have recently worn this same bright/blood red colour!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another stellar look 😊

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very nice event today as predicted. Kate’s look, for me, was just kind-of quintessential Kate. I wasn’t wowed. I’m so over red this and red that. Yes, it’s a good color on her but let’s see something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure she wore red because it is the color of the Welsh dragon.

      Delete
    2. I'm sure she wore red because it is the color of the Welsh dragon on the flag and therefore very symbolic.

      Delete
  10. A few accounts are reporting that the brooch is much similar to that of Diana's. Also her hat is by Juliette Millinery. Happy St David's day 🌸 to all those who celebrate it. Lovely to see Catherine and William together. Cannot wait to see them tomorrow with the crown prince couple of Norway.

    ReplyDelete
  11. MizBev from Colorado1 March 2023 at 18:18

    Wonderful post and a wonderful annual event this would be. Fingers crossed. Catherine looked lovely as always. I personally think the black that you see on the dress might be the tail end of her black scarf. Not sure if that is the case but it might be.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Catherine looks amazing today. I cannot wait to see what she wears St. Patrick's Day ☘️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to see what she wears on St. Patricks Day as well! Wondering if in her new role, she will have a very specific look????

      Delete
  13. She looks lovely and energetic - as always. It seems that the coat she wore was not asymmetrical though?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yesterday's outfit was very smart, but today's is proper princessing, with the lovely coat enhanced by a hat, diamond brooch and earrings, and excellent gloves!
    Re the dress underneath- is it red and black, or just red with the edges of her long black scarf showing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Proper Princessing" is exactly right. Her hat and gloves are so great, along with the red coat. Charlotte, thank you reposting the regiment's own description of its duties and "looking forward" to the coronation. Your accounts are the best.

      Delete
    2. Honestly they are second to none! Even when held up to light with mainstream media. Also a warmth and kindness in the tone of writing. Apart from the recent family/brother occurrences, the blog almost always feels like a warm cosy blanket to me. Looking forward to this year's coronation blogs, the tours and the kid's 2023 birthday pictures. 💞 Feels like Charlotte was born for this:)

      Delete
  15. I love this look, everything works well together, and I think she looks amazing. It's also nice to see that, while the length of her coat matches the coats of the Guards, it's not a military-themed one like those she has worn to Remembrance Day and St. Patrick's Day events. Thanks for sharing the historical details of St. David's Day and the Welsh Guards, always interesting to read those!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Why does one woman need so many new coats? Third one in one week? I'm pretty sure she has a few red ones in her closet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely day out for all. The Prince of Wales looks very handsome in his uniform. It's a WOW from me for the Princess, she looks beautiful. I love her whole look. This red coat was the perfect choice for today. I like those earrings butt I do think very small for the price. It's probably because of the brand or quality of the diamonds. I was going to call the brooch as belonging to Princess Diana but I don't think so now. The Welsh Guards presented the late Queen, Princess Diana and The Duchess of Cornwall with leek brooches. I think this one is their gift to the new Princess of Wales. Charlotte, that's a great close up picture of the brooch. If you look at the end, it looks like tiny roots as if it had been pulled from the ground. The base of the late Queen's and new Queen's are different to this one. S.🙂.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love her look today! Very put together and festive for the day! I tend to agree with the thought of the black that’s showing on her skirt being her scarf. While sitting with the Guards, she shows a lot of her skirt and it’s only red there. But just an opinion. Thanks for continuing to cover the life of the Princess of Wales!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very fitting and sophisticated look for Catherine. Absolutely loving the gloves!!! Am also struck by how handsome William looks, and appreciate the history and background of the Welsh Guards from Charlotte. I am hoping that W&K do decide to share the beauty of Wales with their children and spend more time there. As an avid 'anglophile', this blog has been a wealth of knowledge about the history and background on the country, it's people and it's traditions. Happy St. David's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stunning! Her posture has improved so much over the years too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed the same improvement in her posture. She looks great. I wonder if Catherine began pilates or yoga because the results are clear in the last year or two. GA


      Delete
  21. I believe the black piece under her coat is her scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you Charlotte for this wonderful post! They (W&K) are just Amazing!! They've really done an incredible job preparing themselves & as a result, this transition in roles, is absolutely seamless!! Well done them!

    When I saw the group photo.... I couldn't help, but harken back to the thought of Kate @ St. Andrews, in the group photo, during "Freshers Week"!.... My what a long way both of them have come & together! They are truly a shining example of a couple that has a daily unwavering goal of life/family balance & service! Well Done Them!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this look. I have 2 questions - 1) how f does one store hats - she has so many & doesn’t repeat much, so wondering how to keep them fresh & formed. And 2) has anyone seen her closet - how does one store/catalog so many dresses, coats, slacks, tops, shoes, handbags, etc? Would love to see photos or hear descriptions! Missouri Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have 3 custom made hats and received a hat box from the milliner with each of them to store and protect whenever I am not wearing them. Mine has tissue paper to keep crown in shape and protect the brims from creases. The designer hats may very well have custom forms to keep the hats in shape (don't know that for a fact, it is a supposition on my part).

      Border Terrier lover

      Delete
  24. Stunning. Princess-y from head to toe. The elegant updo and smart hat really elevate the overall styling. I agree with Kate's decision to eliminate the asymmetrical hemline of the coat.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am sooooo glad we are getting back to so many regular engagements. I missed this so much.
    Charlotte, is there any chance of you doing the year end polls again? I loved your :voting for your favorite" posts from back in the day. I believe the last one may have been 2018? I am sure they were a ton of work, but revisiting all the looks from the year was always so fun.
    I can't agree with royal watchers who think the whole establishment is beyond hope or a sham after the mess of the last 2 years. Will and Kate do so much work on setting up funding, raising awareness, and putting in the time. Research, and communication and the whole Heads Together campaign too.... I guess I'd like to say that my perspective is that I am under no illusions that The Prince and Princess has a perfect family life or behave perfectly all the time, but they certainly do critical work that none of us regular people would have any patience or taste for. Just wanted to say that after having read some of the other comments on MAM from January. People seem to want to 'rage quit' royal watching based on tabloids from both sides. I prefer to take the work at face value. I will probably never stop following Kate's work. I just find her inspiring!
    On the look for the day I'm a little bored but it's pretty, and what I love the most about Catherine's looks are that they always fit her perfectly, so she always looks fantastic. Something I am working on for my personal style. Tailoring!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, the polls will be making a comeback absolutely :)

      Delete
    2. One of the smartest things I ever did was find a great tailor. I take him almost everything I buy, just to get his opinion on whether it could be better fitted. I've also had him work on clothes I bought decades ago and on a few items I've found in consignment shops.

      The result is that my clothes look much better and more expensive than they sometimes are, because they are custom-fitted by my tailor. Right now, I've got a pile of items to take to him. He's worth every penny he charges.

      Delete
    3. Yay! I am so stoked!

      Delete
  26. Well, this is an echt Princess look, the coat being beautifully tailored and fitted and quite nicely accessorized -- not least by the intricate updo. I'd love to get a better understanding of precisely what her hairdresser did there. It's a quite bewildering assemblage of twists and coils.

    I'm wondering how many red coats the Princess now owns. She seems to debut at least one a year! Around the holidays, I was considering adding a third red coat to the two I already own and then chastised myself for extravagant thinking. Unlike me, the Princess needs many coats, but I'm imagining a long, solid wall of red in whatever room she keeps her outerwear.

    My favorite feature in this look is the hat. I love hats but tend to dislike examples adorned with flowers, tulle and netting, and other fancy furbelows. This rather stark design, with its minimalist quill trim, just suits my taste. Alas that most Americans aren't into hat wearing!

    The gloves are also terrific. I'd forgotten that Miss Kate Middleton wore those to Prince William's passing-out parade at Sandhurst -- with what I think was the first of her red coats. I rather liked the hat she wore that day, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I believe she wore it again for Remembrance Day 2017.
      Nancy in Kentucky

      Delete
  27. While this seems a regular styles coat and colour, the couldn’t have asked for better backdrop against the grey. That alone makes this outstanding. I also think that they’re enjoying their roles as Prince and Princess of Wales.
    Thank you Charlotte for all the work put in to your posts. It’s much enjoyed and much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I do seeing how W&K’s personalities bring new flair to these very traditional engagements.

    Like others, I’m a little taken aback by her sporting yet another red coat but maybe this one is a slightly different hue (more orange toned) than the others. I will say I don’t really care for the hat. The design up close is very interesting but from afar it looks like a misshapen beret with half of a Mickey Mouse set of ears attached on top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit, I don’t care for the hat, either. It looks bizarre to me, with two arrows pointing one way and the pointy ends of the bow going another way. In every photo I find myself so distracted by that hat that I don’t appreciate the rest of her ensemble, which I do think is very nice.

      I’m really enjoying all the posts about their new responsibilities as the Prince and Princess of Wales. It must be so much new information for them to digest. I’m sure learning about their new responsibilities has been taking up some of their time and is probably a good example of the work they’re doing even when not out in the public eye.

      Kim in Saratoga, USA

      Delete
    2. I have to agree another red coat seems extravagant as she has many in her wardrobe already . The updo is fabulous and I wish she wore her hair up more often . The hat reminds me of knitting needles.
      GT Uk

      Delete
  29. Tammy from California2 March 2023 at 01:42

    I am American and we do not use the word "smart" to describe a look, but as Brit friends say: she looks so "SMART". She really looks elegant and every bit a representative. Love this look!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This was a splendid look by the Princess. The coat is a fabulous cut, love everything about it. The color is sublime. The hat befits the occasion and elevates the overall look. Love the boots and bag, the gloves, fantastic! This was a great visit, a meaningful annual event, marvellous to see. This was a great post, with so much information, thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a great outing! She and William looked wonderful. Love Catherine's look. Her hat is spectacular and the red coat perfect for the occasion. Her earrings and broach and the gloves, wow. Her hairstyle is beautiful. Ali

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh wow…she is just stunning from head to toe! I hope one day we get to see the dress she’s wearing underneath. It looks great from what I can see. Oh, and the gloves…so happy to see them, just lovely! Both her and Prince William look fantastic today! Thanks Charlotte!!
    Joanne in CA

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you so much for your informative as always post, Charlotte!

    I thought the PoW looked stunning in the bespoke red-orange Alexander McQueen gorgeous new wool coat. On an another note, I had always wondered about why emblems of Leeks were associated with Wales, and in particular was intrigued by the lines from Henry V on the battlefield of Agincourt in Shakespeare's brilliant play because I never understood the context. Now, with your history of why Leeks are so important to the Welsh Guard, I finally understand the reference. The lines are from Act IV, Scene 7:

    Fluellen: Your majesty says very true: if your majesties is
    remembered of it, the Welshmen did good service in a
    garden where leeks did grow, wearing leeks in their
    Monmouth caps; which, your majesty know, to this
    hour is an honourable badge of the service; and I do
    believe your majesty takes no scorn to wear the leek
    upon Saint Davy's Day

    Henry V.: I wear it for a memorable honour;
    For I am Welsh, you know, good countryman.

    Charlotte, your incredible blog is just the best in publishing all the cultural, traditional and historical aspects of each engagement, in addition to the fashion. I go nowhere else.

    Karen, United States, California

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is awesome! What a throwback. I need to rewatch Kenneth Branaugh's movie!

      Delete
    2. Love this Karen!!! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  34. I forgot to add, I don't remember those gloves. They give a nice edge to her look today. Tiara mania Tumblr has a old post up again about the jewellery gifted from Wales to former Princess of Wales. S.🙂.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I was wishing to see a princess outfit soon as opposed to smart casual we’ve seen of late. Kate looks lovely but would rather see a re wear as opposed to a new coat, the colour is lovely and suits her skin tone. Love the updo and hat choice just stunning and very beautiful earrings. Sue in WA

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh wow…she is just stunning from head to toe! I hope one day we get to see the dress wearing i would love too see the rewear

    ReplyDelete
  37. Catherine looks more regal than ever!!!
    I've been enjoying this blog since 2011 and only once posted a comment, but the Wales'es appearance for this engagement blew me away!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! Constructive discussion is always encouraged but off topic or hateful remarks will not be published.

We ask you use a name when posting (a pseudonym such as the name of a royal you like or anything you wish). If you do not wish to use the sign in options, simply select the "Name/URL" option on the drop down menu and insert your name, and if you wish the country/state you're from. You can leave the URL blank.

If there are a large number of comments, it is necessary to click the 'Load More' button at the end of the comments section to see the latest additions.