Saturday 5 November 2022

Kate in England Red for Rainy Rugby League Quarter-Final

In her role as Patron of the Rugby Football League, the Princess of Wales attended the England vs Papua New Guinea Rugby League World Cup quarter-final match in Wigan.

It marks Kate's first Rugby Football League match since she became patron earlier this year.To coincide with news of the patronage in February, Kate said: "I am so thrilled to become Patron of the Rugby Football League and Rugby Football Union – two fantastic organisations who are committed to harnessing the power that sport can have in bringing communities together and helping individuals flourish. I look forward to working with them across all levels of the games, and to cheering England on in what promises to be an exciting year for both sports."

At the time, Kensington Palace said the patronage "closely aligns" with Kate's "longstanding passion for sport" and "the lifelong benefits it provides". Ralph Rimmer, Chief Executive of the Rugby Football League said: "We are truly honoured by the appointment of the Duchess of Cambridge as the Rugby Football League’s royal patron. We are delighted to welcome her as we prepare to host Men’s, Women’s, Wheelchair and Physical Disability Rugby League World Cups in England this autumn. Our sport’s history has been built on a commitment to tackling inequalities and we honour that through our focus on having a positive social impact well beyond the pitch. We look forward to working with the Duchess in the years to come, and I know all levels of our sport will welcome her to the Rugby League family."

Established in 1895, the Rugby Football League is the national governing body for Rugby League in the UK -- covering all forms of grassroots and the professional game, including women’s and wheelchair rugby.

Kensington Palace said: "The Rugby League World Cup 2021 (RLWC2021) marks a breakthrough moment in the history of the tournament, with the men’s, women’s and wheelchair World Cup competitions being staged alongside one another for the first time. The tournament will also be the most visible Rugby League event in history with all 61 games in the men’s, women’s and wheelchair competitions being broadcast live on the BBC."

Kate spent time with representatives from groups who have played an integral part in the delivery of the RLWC2021 Social Impact Programme. Launched in June 2018, the programme has aimed to provide a tangible positive impact to local communities, primarily focusing on the tournament’s host towns and cities. Over the past four years, more than £25 million of investment has been delivered through the programme to tackle inequality, increase opportunities for people from all backgrounds to access Rugby League, and promote positive mental health.

Amos Wynn shared this behind-the-scenes clip.

The Princess spent a good deal of time meeting the players during the rainy afternoon.

Kate wishing England's Sam Tomkins luck.

The Princess joined a minute of non-silence, held to mark the tournament’s Movember Mental Fitness Match Day. 

Kensington Palace noted: "Unifying the whole stadium, the moment aims to combat the damaging impact that silence can have upon men’s mental health with one man losing their life to suicide every minute around the world."

It seemed within a short time of the game kicking off, England were in the lead with a score of 38-0.

Kate chatting with veteran broadcaster Clare Balding.

During half-time Kate met members of the women's team. Amos Wynn reports she told them: "Keep it up, and really good luck in your next game."

I loved the seasonal (it's not too soon, is it? :) red and wine combination Kate chose today for her look.

Kate repeated her timeless red Alexander McQueen coat. Below, Kate wearing the piece in October 2020 for a Hold Still engagement.

With thanks to Middleton Maven, it very much appears Kate wore a Gabriela Hearst turtleneck in 'Windsor Wine'.

Laura suggests Kate wore the Boden Kristen skirt. The past season piece is the closest match I've seen.

Kate accessorised with her Annoushka pearls and Kiki McDonough hoops.

Kate completed the look with a pair of brown suede boots. I'll update if they are identified. 

In other news, Kensington Palace shared the very exciting news last night that Kate's Christmas Carol Concert will go ahead for the second consecutive year at Westminster Abbey. This year’s service will also pay tribute to Her late Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and the values she demonstrated at Christmas time and throughout her life, including empathy, compassion and support for others. Attended by members of the Royal family, it will take place on Thursday, 15 December and air on ITV on Christmas Eve. The news was accompanied with a beautiful illustration by Aurelie Baudry Palmer.

By the way, the match ended with a resounding victory for England -- 46-6!

48 comments:

  1. The applauses and cheers she got were amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her (public) style has significantly changed since the Queen died and she became PoW. When are she and William going to America? Isn't it around the time of the Christmas Carol Concert?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rather disagree with this statement. In my opinion from the day Kate married into the RF she has looked both appropriate and fashionable. On some occasions Kates fashion statement may have not been my favorite or first choice but they have always presented well. This chatter of her changing or a need to step up her style is so completely insulting. What are we to expect that she discard her entire wardrobe and start anew?
      I am old enough to have followed HMII for a long time. She was always in the hight of fashion as was her sister without regard to what the Queen Mum was wearing style wise. Lets start from now and look at the times we live instead of constantly compareing her to anyone else who held the title.

      Delete
    2. On a lighter note, I wish Kate had brought George to the game.

      Delete
    3. I agree Granny, she has her own style.she knows this and dresses very well for the role she has. It's always great to see the kids with them but must be hard to bring one and leave the others at home. S.😀

      Delete
    4. I don't think that the original poster is stating that her wardrobe has suddenly become appropriate, insinuating a previously inappropriate/un-royal selection. I believe that this is merely an observation of Kate's changing sartorial tastes. In her early days of marriage, she favoured shift dresses for more formal outings (often with lace), lace evening gowns, and skin tight skinny jeans for events requiring less formality. Over the years, however, specifically in 2016, her style became less formulaic and more interesting. We saw a smattering of styles and fabrics. After Meghan joined the family, Kate became more adventurous in her style and later adopted trouser suits, different types of shoes, small purses rather than only clutches, etc. Now it seems she is wearing very modern cuts that are monochrome and less girly/youthful. Her style crystallizes her changing, maturing personality, a metamorphosis that we all go through –– which is neither (necessarily) negative nor positive.

      Delete
    5. I do not think her style has changed much from a year ago, her style adjusts a bit every year. I think her style changes in response to her age, her body, what her duties are, and the current fashion. She is pretty consistent with her clothing choices. Ali

      Delete
    6. I think it is reading a bit to much in to a situation say her style has changed since HM passed away. Her outfits at the funeral was very much in her wheelhouse. Since then she has either worn repeats, like this, or something very similar to repeats, like the camel monochrome, from earlier this week.

      Delete
    7. On the children, it was a long match, a wet day, lots of meetings with players, no really a fun outing for them.

      Delete
    8. I'd say her style is very much the same as it always was, except that she's been experimenting with the occasionally more fashion-forward touch over the past few years. She wears more trousers on engagements; she's swapped the clutches for top-handle bags; she's tried slightly unusual color combinations. These are minor changes, but they might have been inspired, initially, by the fact that the Duchess of Sussex is somewhat more fashion-forward than the Princess has been. Her arrival in the family, and her trousers and top-handle bags, for example, were different from the Princess's standard look. It's not somehow a denigration of the Princess too say that there might have been some influence.

      Delete
    9. I agree with Ali completely. Her style just evolves. I suspect none of us dresses exactly the same as in 2012, lol. And I find it a bit funny, as a longtime follower, that following each of significant events in Kate's life, there always appear comments like "omg this changed her style!". But if you look at her style as a whole, you can see a clear pattern in her sartorial choices, always appropriate, always polite, most often highlighting British designers and/or using some more affordable pieces or repeats. If you ask me, I love it!
      Ella

      Delete
    10. She also has a much bigger budget now for clothes as Princess of Wales. I wouldn't expect her to be to extravagant, she's very good for wearing cheeeper brands and rewearing her clothes. She's definitely more polished as she has gotten older and grown into her role. Just look at the changes in Diana over the years. S. ☺

      Delete
  3. This was a great engagement, the reception she received was amazing and I love the outfit. We are so very lucky to have her. The minute's make a noise for mental health was so very touching :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok my dear Kate......your collection of coats is to die for........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. Kate has some amazing coats and jackets in her collection.

      Delete
  5. I have a coat that looks a bit like this one, but modest in cost. It's an L.K. Bennett. When I saw Kate in the wine and red I thought it looked good together (albeit unexpected).

    Anyway, I had a look at wine roll neck sweaters and didn't have any luck until I stumbled upon a very inexpensive knock-off. I spotted a Joseph A roll neck sweater with button cuffs. It is $68.00 marked down to $19.97. Free shipping with a $49.00 order. There are eight colors and wine is one of the choices. It gives the look without the big price. I like cashmere and silk, but cannot afford the brand Kate is wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love her boots. I hope they are still available

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate is always such a breath of fresh air. Her looks and demeanor are subtle and elegant, yet fresh and youthful. I love her, I wish I could one day meet her and I hope to live to see her become Queen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes she did get a great reception from the crowd. The red coat was beautiful on her and really stood out. She always looks great in red. Great news about the Christmas Carol service. It was lovely last year and something I think she should continue. S. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto S. :) ! Looking forward to the Christmas carol service. Zora

      Delete
  9. Love this coat with the contrasting color underneath & the poppy! It’s a gorgeous coat. She looks great. Thank you for the post. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, the coat is beautifully tailored, as are all the Princess's coats, and there isn't much more to say about it.

    The interesting aspect of this outfit is the unexpected pairing of dark red/burgundy with a bright red, which I think works well. I referred to tonal outfits the other day and the fact that the shades in each piece don't have to match exactly; different shades of the same hue can be quite effective together. This is a striking difference, not a subtle one, but I've seen a high-end designer or two pair dark and bright reds with good results. I think it's noteworthy that the Princess has occasionally been trying for a more fashion-forward approach to her wardrobe within the last few years.

    I like the roll-neck sweater/jumper with the knife-pleated skirt. The Duchess of Sussex wore a similar outfit in a wonderful cognac color, and the Princess herself wore a bright-red version not too long ago. It's a great look. Pleated skirts like that comprise a great deal of movement and even a little drama. I highly recommend them for creating a lot of fun visual interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vittoria, ever since you mentioned the turtleneck of the camel dress, I can see nothing else. It truly was disappointing. I'm having trouble pairing the two colors of this outing, but I remember the colors pairings I grew up with like turquoise/navy and moss green/maroon that people may not like now, so I'm being flexible! I do like the top/skirt and especially like the turtleneck.

      Delete
    2. Vittoria your statements are spot on re the tonal approach to dressing and how the PoW has done it for this occasion compared to the other day. I would love to have seen the boots with the camel outfit! I'm not keen on the mock turtleneck style and prefer a true turtleneck. Sue in WA

      Delete
  11. It looks like she met lots of people - which is a good approach for sport engagements, I think. I liked her outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really love the boots.
    But is it just me....or has her hair looked really off lately? No bounce, it just kind of hangs there. She needs to go back to the chestnut, get a trim, and revive her hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think her hair looks fabulous. But I understand everyone has different taste,Ali

      Delete
    2. I agree Amy: Detroit.

      Delete
    3. Agree. Used to love her hair. Now it’s too long and like she doesn’t give time for a blow dry.

      Delete
    4. I agree. It’s been looking a bit limp lately.

      Delete
  13. Kate looks wonderful in this colour combination! And I'm delighted to hear that the Christmas Carol Concert is returning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a beautiful outfit, red coat and wine color. The boots are divine. It was heartwarming to see such a wonderful welcome for her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's nice to see her at this sport event, and I think she's perfect as a rugby patron. She is in "her element" as well as with children, nature, the arte... She is such a beauty and a beautiful soul! Also talented and competent, of course! Re. the style: I am not a fan of these colours together but definitely love burgundy! I bet her hair looked a bit flat because it was raining. Maybe in sports event or rainy weather, a half updo would be better, but whatever she feels confortable with it's absolutely fine.
    Can't wait to see the Christmas Carol! Last year she was soooo good and everything was very touching and I was really sobbing. I'll get ready with tissues for this year, too ;)
    Ah, and the drawing in the video was so amazing! Well done to the artist.
    Last year she wore a red coat, I wonder what she will wear this year...Maybe a burgundy coat? Let's wait and see...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the arts*
      comfortable*

      Delete
    2. I agree, Stella - a beautiful soul indeed! And the drawing was lovely. Zora

      Delete
  16. I deleted my Twitter. I don't miss it besides the Royal news I would follow. Charlotte you should sign up for Reddit!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love The Princess of Wales fashion. Quite unexpected pairing of hues, but it works and she looks lovely. If only I could pull that color combo! And lastly, congratulations to England for winning! Well done!

    -FloridaGirl

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love her outfit and think it's a great engament, I love rugby! I notice that, lately, there is something "strange" about the Princess' face. I understand some treatment, but I hope she will not overdo, she is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan in Florida8 November 2022 at 04:20

      Hi Anon 8:49 : I don’t think it’s her face. It looks to me in these photos that her hair was flat around her face, and hair changes can make people look different.

      Delete
    2. Hi Susan. I really hope it is just the hair. I didn't want to be rude, I love our Princess and find her really beautiful. I just see something changed in her expressions. We will wait for a more flattering haircut ;)

      Delete
  19. Anon 08:49 I'm not sure what treatment you mean, but it made me think about Kate and Meghan. They are very attractive people -- I hope we would be as interested in them if they were just ordinary, perhaps with "flaws." I'm not sure we would, which made me think about our expectations of the royal women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Allison, I'm the anon. I don't know which treatment, I'm not an expert. Maybe some botox, but I don't know. As I write above, I didn't want to be rude, because I really love our Princess. For sure Catherine and Meghan feel a lot of pressure to always look at their best, mine was not a critic, maybe I'd have some kind of treatments too if I was always in the spotlight. Anyway, I can't wait for Her next engagment.

      Delete
    2. It didn't sound rude. I would have treatments, too! I remember prewedding that Meghan was having some cheek treatments -- all natural stuff. I'm sure there are things that help skin that I just can't afford. :)

      Delete
    3. Neither do I :)

      Delete
  20. This was a great engagement, the reception she received was amazing and I love the outfit choice the princess of wales was very keen speaking the line

    ReplyDelete
  21. HRH The Princess of Wales is such a charming & genuine person - no matter her attire, she just radiates warmth & sincerity!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looking forward to The Princess of Wales Christmas concert service - now, and annual Christmas tradition. It is such a treat to see the royals decked out in their festive arrive, in support of The Princess of a Wales!

    ReplyDelete
  23. HRH The Princess Wales has been a part of the lives of the royal family for over twenty years. During the 11+ years that HRH has been married to The Prince of Wales, it has been lovely to watch her style evolution as she has grown into the role. The Princess has been a patient, humble future Queen Consort in training, and at every level of the ascension thus far she has carried herself with such grace and charm that she has seamlessly slipped right in to the role of the wife of the future King,

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! Constructive discussion is always encouraged but off topic or hateful remarks will not be published.

We ask you use a name when posting (a pseudonym such as the name of a royal you like or anything you wish). If you do not wish to use the sign in options, simply select the "Name/URL" option on the drop down menu and insert your name, and if you wish the country/state you're from. You can leave the URL blank.

If there are a large number of comments, it is necessary to click the 'Load More' button at the end of the comments section to see the latest additions.