Thursday 5 March 2020

It's Juggling, Midleton Whiskey & A Sporting Afternoon For Visit To Galway

For their final day in Ireland, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge travelled to the West of the country for several engagements in Galway.


William and Kate travelled by helicopter from Dublin, where it is believed they stayed at the official Irish State guest house Farmleigh House. They were delayed due to foggy weather conditions.


Galway has been named the European Capital of Culture for 2020 and today's itinerary focused on celebrating the richness and diversity of Irish culture, and the country’s proud history of artistic endeavour.


Throughout the year in Galway, the honour is being marked with a programme focusing on the themes of language, landscape and migration. Structured around the old Celtic calendar of Imbolc, Bealtaine, Lughnasa and Samhain, Galway 2020 begins in February and runs through until the end of January 2021. The idea of the European Capital of Culture is to put specific regions at the heart of cultural life across Europe and strengthen their communities.


The Duke and Duchess attended a special event at Tribeton featuring a number of Galway 2020’s acts, including Livefeed, Hoops and the Galway Community Circus, and met young performers, young people and volunteers.


William tried his hand at juggling.


People reports:

'The 37-year-old royal began juggling like a professional, as Kate, 38, clapped and cheered him on along with the rest of the impressed crowd.
However, things went less smoothly when Prince William tried to incorporate a fourth ball into his routine. He threw two balls into the air, but when it came time to free his hands of the other balls, they went flying in different directions — including one ball straight at his wife!'

The couple met a group of young basketball players.


From there, the Cambridges visited Tig Coili, a family-owned, traditional Irish pub in Galway city centre, where they met local Galwegians who volunteer to promote the city and its people.


They were gifted a rare bottle of 2019 Midleton Whiskey and a pair of glasses from the pub with their names and the date inscribed.


They posed for a moment outside the pub.


People reports:

'Among the crowds waiting outside the Tig Coili pub was Katie Lemon, 21, who works at a medical device company in Galway as part of a placement from her university degree in Belfast. “I didn’t expect to see so many people. I just love the royals,” she says. “I saw them last year in Belfast and there’s so much excitement when people come out to see them.” She adds, “It’s great that they’re here for Galway 2020.”

Hello! Galway.


On King Street, William and Kate met locals who had waited outside to catch a glimpse of the couple. Victoria Murphy reports 'Angela Moran from Westport, County Mayo, was holding a commemorative banner from the 2011 royal wedding when she spoke to William. “He asked about the flag,” I said to him that I really admired him and Catherine and he said thank you very much. I said I love her and he said ‘I do too, nice of you to say so.’ About meeting the couple, she said: “It was amazing. It’s something you’d think will never happen. We came and stayed here overnight so that we’d be in a good position to see them today. We’ve had a long stand but it was worth every second.”


More from People:

'The young girls called out, “Kate, Kate, Kate,” and the royal mom of three swiftly moved through the crowd to see the two friends. 
“We asked to shake her hand. She is very beautiful,” says Siofre Borke, 8, who was there with friend Hazel McGann, 8.
“We were surprised she came running over,” says Hazel’s mom Paula McGann, 43.
“It was so sweet to see. You can see how Kate is drawn to the kids,” adds Phillida Eves, who was standing behind the children. “She said, ‘I’ll be really quick!’ She was making an effort.”

A great shot from the walkabout.

Embed from Getty Images

A video from the visit with great footage from the walkabout.


Finally, it was time for a spot of sporting fun at a a local Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) club.


The Duke and Duchess learned more about traditional sports which are popular across Ireland, including hurling and Gaelic football.


Kensington Palace said: "The GAA has over 2,200 clubs in all 32 counties of Ireland. Every summer, the inter-county All-Ireland Championships in hurling and football capture the attention of the Irish public and around 1.5 million people attend the GAA Championships from May to September."


William and Kate were eager to try hurling.


This one begs a caption contest (I think Kate was happy with her effort :))


Prince William gives it his best shot.


A cheer from William!


Hello! writes:

'Speaking after the visit, Club secretary Conor McGauran said: "Symbolically it's a massive deal for us. The royals have never set foot in a GAA Club before. They're doing it in our club in Galway and in Salthill and Knocknacarra today. It's hugely emotional for us.
“It's history being made. Plain and simple. People have been in Croke Park before but they've never been in a GAA club before and I think it’s a massive indication from the royal family about their hopes and intentions to connect even further with the community of Ireland, not just parts of Ireland or the hierarchy. This is more than just symbolic, this is them playing our national sport, this is them getting involved in a community-based organisation that’s completely run by volunteerism, so to me it's a huge message of support for Irish-British relations."

A video of the couple in action.


We saw the Duchess in two ensembles in Galway.

Embed from Getty Images

The Duchess wore her military green Alexander McQueen coat which she debuted for engagements in Bradford in January.


Kate's green polka dot silk crepe de chine dress is a custom made Suzannah dress based on the Valerie Midi Dress. The £1,250 piece is described as: "Beautiful vintage inspired silk printed midi dress inspired by a 1940s vintage dress. The bodice has a perfect fit which skims over the body. The waist has a slightly higher pitched waist seam, with the skirt being a soft a-line. The sleeves have a wonderful pleated sleeve head and playfully cut long sleeves. A romantic dress with a wonderful soft and flattering structure. The dress has a centre back zip for step-in ease."


Kate added the Sézane Artemis Belt (with thanks to @Sandduneandpinetrees).


Kate carried the Jimmy Choo Croc-Embossed Lealther Palace bag (with thanks to Middleton Maven).


Kate wore her black suede Ralph Lauren boots.


Kate accessorised with her Daniella Draper mini cupid shamrock hoops from yesterday.


And debuted the matching necklace today.


For a sporting afternoon, Kate changed into a casual look. The Duchess teamed black skinny jeans with the £225 Really Wild Cashmere Mix Sweater in coral. Kate also owns the piece in ruby red.


Kate also wore her Sweaty Betty x New Balance trainers.


And that's a wrap on Royal Visit Ireland. I have no doubt the Duke and Duchess are incredibly excited to get home to see the children and enjoy the weekend together. I very much enjoyed this visit and I'm looking forward to seeing William and Kate's relationship continue to grow with Ireland in the years to come.


Which moments stood out for you? I found following in the Queen's footsteps at the Garden of Remembrance particularly poignant.

54 comments:

  1. Beautiful as usual 🥰

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh i loce the duchess and duke her in the sporty event oh i love the green outfit

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dress, while not unusual for Kate and a "sister" to several she has worn, still is exceedingly pretty and she looks very lovely. I like her haircut, too. It is very flattering to her face. she has a lot of really pretty dresses like this, including one she wore for a dinner date with William and one when she had the Obamas over. I suppose a new one was called for, out of courtesy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on the similar style of dresses, I regard this as wasteful. Whether she chooses these out of courtesy, I have no idea, - where she completely lost me though - is why the heck it needs to be bespoke?

      I don't like her new hairstyle though. It does not suit her imo.

      Delete
    2. I think too many repeats is not great on tour, like you don't think your host are important enough. I think Kate struck the right balance here.

      Delete
    3. I love how you state your opinions as fact! Like her hair doesn’t suit her. I find those words harsh. She’s not a dress up doll! She’s a thinking human with her own taste. I happen to like her hair..I also am sure she is not always thrilled with her new looks, but everyone needs a change sometimes.

      Delete
    4. Anonymous, she said "imo" which means in my opinion. And anyway, we are all expressing opinions here, including you, and personal preferences are never a fact.

      Camilla

      Delete
  4. This was my favorite green dress of the tour. And i like the boots. But I LOVE the red sweater and I want it like yesterday. Overall this has been a fun mini-tour and Kate's looked very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to go!!! Loved the scenery so much. Thank you for all the background information, Charlotte.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Dear Charlotte,
    Thanks a lot for mentionning my IG account for the ID's of the Sezane's Artemis belt. There is a slight tippo: it is SandduneSandpinetrees...
    Kindest regards from France
    Sophie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I highly recommend to watch videos from today. People were cheering and shouting for them everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved it! But I just think that maybe there has been too many polka dot prints for a 3 day visit....

    ReplyDelete
  9. The love this dress, esecially paired with her boots!

    Overall, I think Kate's wardrobe has been lovely, but not like previous tours. Maybe that is because the engagements are traditional and not fancy or filled with glittery receptions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness!! The video with the kids is my absolute Favorite Kate Trip interaction video Ever!! Not only did we see a bit of our fave W&K competitive sport moments.... but we got to see a peak of Kate interacting with the kids in "Team Mom" mode!! :) xoxo

    Becca USA

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh & I also love the video of them in the pub! So Great!!! :) xoxo

    Becca USA

    ReplyDelete
  12. The belt is the Sézane Artemis belt, which constantly sells out whenever they restock. I bet Kate got it in all colors ;)
    I think it gives the dress a more romantic feel. Love the boots, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love Kate with kids and sporting events. A fun day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love Kate's looks for both events, she is so pretty and so very engaged. My biggest takeaway from this tour is the interaction between William and Kate, the crowds that have come out to see them, and the happiness that they seem to generate with everybody around them. Smiles and laughter seem to be the order of the day!! It does seem that this trip is more than just symbolic, and the message William and Kate seem to be focusing on is connecting with the people of the country. There is much love about the entire tour and there is a natural ease with which they seem to relate to everybody, they are both coming into their own and it is inspiring to see! They are quite the team!! cc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zora from Prague5 March 2020 at 20:33

      So well said, CeCe! They do bring joy to people, are genuinely interested in them and make them feel at ease. Which are great qualities for people in their roles.
      I loved all the videos!
      Galway must be such a beautiful place! I'm sure the Cambridges really enjoyed being there and they seemed so relaxed in the pub 😉
      Thank you so much Charlotte for the wonderful coverage of the whole tour!!

      Delete
    2. CeCe, I love everything you said & I agree completely!!! :)

      Becca USA

      Delete
  15. Beautiful green dress, the first nice outfit during this tour!!! How many green coats does she own? What's the point? They all look the alike!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Although I'm not a huge fan of polka dots I love the vintage structure of this dress & the fit of it on Kate. Really suits her figure & looks good with the boots. She looks lovely & always looks good in green! Cute in the coral sweater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oddly, I like the red color of the sweater better on Kate than I do the green. I like Kate more in the olive greens than the bright greens. But Kate looks fabulous on the field in red and black and so confident and happy. My pick for the caption shot would be “She shoots! She scores!”

      Delete
    2. Agree, The boots are great with the dress.

      Delete
  17. Love Kate's looks but that bright coral is a delight on her. Beautiful colour, hope to see it often on her.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't recall seeing Kate wear coral before and I must say that I LOVE IT!!!! She wears jewel colors so well. I too hope to see her in that shade more. I also love it because it's a piece I can afford!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She wore one very coral dress, with her hair half up, after Charlotte was born. If you google "kate middleton coral dress" I think you can find it :)

      Camilla

      Delete
  19. The UK is blessed to have The Queen AND Kate and William too.

    I know I’m omitting several other great people, but I adore those three.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, she is so expressive when playing sports, it is really fun to see the photos of her.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Isn’t she just lovely 😊

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely dress and the sweater is fabulous.
    Like others, I don't think this tour is the best in terms of fashion, although of course, Kate was perfectly elegant and appropriate. But it was an incredible diplomatic success and both William and Kate are wonderful at their job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said. She looks wonderful in shades of green so likely we will see all these pieces again. I prefer the unbelted off the rack version of this dress but she loves that belted shirtwaist silhouette.

      Delete
  23. The last and finale day was abosulute delight to ireland was great and she very deligthful to watch

    ReplyDelete
  24. As for fashion and hairstyles this tour will not stand out for me (rather the opposite, sigh). I was a big fan of the Reiss repeat and many nods to Ireland though.

    But as for the interactions both between Will and Kate and the couple and the public, it will be a standout. I loved how Will and Kate let their guard down a bit and let us see more of their loving, touching gestures. And how the people responded amazingly to them, cheering and being excited. I think these tours have a long term potential to make a real shift in the relationship of both countries.

    Speaking of diplomatic potential, I think this couple has huge diplomatic potential with William being the "more serious" one and Kate being the "heart toucher"(for a lack of a better word). Like this, they complete each other perfectly and their visits are relevant and political but at the same time very human, fun and heartfelt.
    Ella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was asking myself how could this tour be such a let down fashionwise when the Pakistan tour was 👌🏻. And then I realised it is directly linked to the aim of the tour. The point of the Pakistan tour was to show that Pakistan is functioning and open for business and the most effective way to spread that message globally was through lots of picture perfect moments. And yes, Kate and her wardrobe (and William’s green evening outfit) played a big part in that.

      The point of the Ireland tour was to strengthen historical links and an ongoing process of reconciliation especially after Brexit. In this William’s speeches and their personal connection with the people in Ireland played a bigger role. She was still dressed appropriately and with care and royal reporters still wrote about it, but it doesn’t matter that every outfit was not picture perfect.

      Delete
  25. Jean from Lancs6 March 2020 at 12:16

    The Government asked them to go to Ireland to cement the relationship between the Irish people and the British, particularly important in my part of the country where many people have Irish ancestry. They have certainly done that.
    As I am in my mid 80s I will not see them crowned, but it is nice to note that the monarchy is in good hands for the future---whatever the problems are now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The monarchy is in good hands. W&K are stable, caring, humble and dignified. William will make a great King. I hope you are as long-lived as the Queen mother and see them crowned, Jean... and I hope we all on this blog can have a virtual celebration together!

      Delete
    2. Do you think Charles will become king sometime in this decade or will we have to wait for the 2030’s?

      Delete
  26. I agree Charlotte, that was a touching moment following the queen but I don't understand why they did not lay that wreath themselves, honestly.

    From fashion and other point of view, this tour was a serious let down for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Has any tour or engagement of W or K ever been anything but a let down for you?

      Delete
    2. Anon @16:17..Agree with you

      Delete
    3. I like that Kate stands her ground about her love for frills, bows and ruffles inspite of the ruthless fashion police branding her frumpy housewife. It's her style n we can't do anything about it. Not everyone likes vogue standard clean lines silhouette all the time. Keep wearing what you like Kate.

      Delete
    4. Since you have been following my comments so closely, and asking I loved their first Canadian tour. Probably because I had thought making a difference was real. And a royal wardrobe meant meaningful pieces, any wealthy woman can splash 30,000 pounds on frills, bows and ruffles to wear them once. My bad I have higher expectations.

      Delete
    5. Ditto to all three Anon's!! You do you Kate!

      Delete
  27. That coral is beautiful. I must say, something about these two, she and William both, just are a delight to see. So positive, so attractive and intelligent, and they both seem so caring. They give me hope, somehow, in a world of bad news and frightening headlines. They are both just a bright light. I can't explain it very well, but that's what I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Note to self: must be kind :-) ... however, who picked these outfits out of the closet and thought they were great ideas? I've never seen such a strange collection of expensive and weird. A suitcase full of frumpiness, if I ever saw one. I suspect the Queen stuck her nose in to give some fashion advice. Note to Kate: act as if you're not in next time.

    Three notable exceptions: her hair - which has never been better, and that red sweater, which was really suitable for the occasion, and her face while playing on that field; showing young girls, in particular, how to play and have fun.

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know very little about fashion, but I have to agree. Kate always looks great in sport wear, wears lovely dresses at Wimbledon, and has many beautiful sleek dresses, coats and suits. But she now has a collection of dresses that reminds me of the really awful dresses I wore late seventies and eighties! It all started with that frumpy dress she wore to Pippa's wedding... And anything with flounces at the bottom, the neck, the wrists. Beautiful woman otherwise.

      Delete
  29. I loved absolutely everything about this trip! I think the sporting event with the kids at the end was my favorite, if I had to choose!! This trip just had something special about it for me. :)

    Becca USA

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great tour. Enjoyed it all. Thank you, Charlotte.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Her hair never has looked any better. I hope this time she keeps the bangs. Finally she and William understand that 21st century royals can touch in public, can be open, have fun, be a little more like media superstars; and still maintain the traditional dignity and sense of service. They’ve figured out those qualities are not incompatible. That’s my favorite part of this tour.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Look Charlotte, who's on Daily Mail!

    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8086047/Kate-Middleton-seen-Kensington-time-returning-royal-tour-Ireland.html

    ReplyDelete
  33. It was so incredibly exciting and meaningful to see William and Kate playing Gaelic football and hurling. It's something I've long hoped to see and was the perfect connection for them, given their love of sport. The GAA does incredible work promoting the cultural history of Ireland, in which Gaelic football and hurling play an integral part, and in fostering sportsmanship and community. It's a well-deserved honor to have the Cambridges at a local club! :)

    The name of the pub written out in modern, anglicized type is Tigh Chóilí - if you look on the sign you'll see the dots above the G and C in the traditional Irish script. When the Irish script was modernized, those dots were changed to Hs, but a lot of signs still use the traditional script with the dots. I've seen that misspelling in basically every report of the trip, but I thought I'd let you know.

    Thanks so much for the wonderful coverage - I rarely comment but I always love to read your excellent reports!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (As an example of the GAA community spirit, I saw in the video above that William is holding a Canning hurley. The Canning family are legendary. Joe Canning is one of the stars of the Galway panel that just won an All-Ireland championship in 2017. When I was in Ireland a few years ago, I needed to bring some hurleys back to my GAA club here in the States and a friend of a friend who knows the Cannings recommended I contact them. I think half the Canning family helped me, from making sure the grip tape on the handle matched my club's colors to even driving into Galway city centre where I was staying to drop them off personally. They were so kind and I felt they were so invested in helping my club succeed even though they'd no personal connection to it. That's just the kind of care and friendliness that I've always found to be part of the GAA experience. It's a perfect fit for the Cambridges. :)

      Delete

Comments are most welcome! Constructive discussion is always encouraged but off topic or hateful remarks will not be published.

We ask you use a name when posting (a pseudonym such as the name of a royal you like or anything you wish). If you do not wish to use the sign in options, simply select the "Name/URL" option on the drop down menu and insert your name, and if you wish the country/state you're from. You can leave the URL blank.

If there are a large number of comments, it is necessary to click the 'Load More' button at the end of the comments section to see the latest additions.