Wednesday 1 July 2020

The Cambridges Celebrate Canada Day

Happy Canada Day to all celebrating! The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge marked the day with a video call to staff at Surrey Memorial Hospital in British Colombia during which they heard about staff experiences during the pandemic and their thoughts on how this monumental change has affected them and their families. The call took place last week with the Cambridges Zooming in (we've been saying Zooming in instead of Dialing in amongst my family of late) from Anmer Hall.


Kensington Palace said: "On Canada Day we say thank you to frontline workers across the country for your amazing work protecting and supporting your communities. À l'occasion de la fête du #Canada, nous remercions les travailleurs de première ligne à travers tout le pays pour votre travail extraordinaire de protection et de soutien de vos collectivités."


More from the Evening Standard:

'The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, speaking from Anmer Hall, heard from six-months-pregnant health care social worker Sunny Dulai about the challenges she faced during the pandemic, with a smiling Kate telling her: "Good luck Sunny going forward ... with your new baby."
The duke had asked: "Sunny, is it right in saying a little birdie says you're expecting in September? How have you found it? How has it been working?"

Sunny spoke of the immense challenges telling the couple: "Initially I was like, 'no, I can do this', emotionally, it wasn't really impacting me. Then, as I got later in my pregnancy and the more the pandemic started to move along, it really did impact my mental health. I felt like I was angrier because I didn't have the support networks at home that I typically have." She added: "I never once felt that I needed to stop working where I work, because of the support I got from my team." The couple praised their "fantastic" efforts and said they hope to meet them in person in the future. Kate added she has "huge admiration" for all they've done.


The Daily Mail reports:

'The duchess described it as 'heartbreaking' when she heard that a patient's wife had sung to him from a phone held in a bag as staff did their utmost to keep loved ones connected during the crisis. Kate said: 'That's heartbreaking to hear. You guys see that and feel that on a daily basis. How do you manage yourself? Are you all OK?'
The couple had been told of the distress experienced by patients and their families who were separated from one another. William asked: 'Have you guys had to pick up a lot of the emotion, that feeling, and be there to support the patients?' 

Royal fans will remember nine years ago William and Kate marked Canada Day on Parliament Hill as part of their electric tour of the country as newlyweds. I recall that time in royal watching particularly fondly, as there was a shared air of excitement and anticipation surrounding the first tour.


The Duchess wore her cream ruffled Reiss dress from the engagement photos with a red hat with maple detail by Sylvia Fletcher, Kiki McDonough Grace earrings, Asprey pendant, the Fan Clutch by Anya Hindmarch and Hobbs London Albini court shoes. It was completed with the Queen's Maple Leaf brooch. It remains one of Kate's best looks in my opinion.


Laura suggests Kate's red tweed dress is a bespoke Alexander McQueen piece. The structured shoulders and design do seem a very solid match. Below, the Short-Sleeve Tweed Shift Dress. Kate's could very well be a custom version of this.




************

Yesterday, on what would have been the opening day of Wimbledon, the Duchess of Cambridge narrated a video telling listeners a much-awaited return to the normal schedule next year will be "worth the wait".


"We will bide our time until we sit at the edge of our seats again, and celebrate again. So, when the time is right, and we open the gates, we will be back again, and it will have been worth the wait."


Before we close, I'm excited to share news I'm writing the Royal Digest blog again. It's very much going to offer a variety of coverage focusing on European and other British royals. There will be a strong emphasis on the work with fashion, history and of course all things sparkly. COVID-19 has changed the landscape of royal watching and indeed royal blogging. I expect it could be some time before we see the traditional royal calendar return and the usual events such as tours, 'away days', walkabouts and much more. It seemed the like the right time to expand. Coverage on 'Duchess Kate' will continue as normal here. If you would like to pop over, please click here.

33 comments:

  1. Great post. Thank you. Love her look on the video. What little we can see of the dress I love on her. To me it looks identical to the one you show from the designer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely piece to read on Canada Day! We are always thrilled to welcome the Duke and Duchess each time they came to Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlotte, as I posted to you over on the Royal Digest blog, it was such a wonderful surprise. I so very excited to have this blog available and to catch up on all the royals' activities, fashion, etc. Thank you for doing this and yes, this is seems to be the ideal time to expand your brilliance with another blog to follow :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlotte, I just popped over to The Royal Digest for the first time, and I love it! While I love Kate, so many other European royals also support worthy causes, and it's wonderful to see where their interests lie. I've always liked the Swedish royals, especially Victoria, as she seems down to earth and approachable. I also like to read about the current Monaco royals, as they are descendants of our beautiful American actress Grace Kelly. Thank you for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am glad to be a regular reader at The Royal Digest. While it is enjoyable watching Kate, it is nice to see what the other royals are doing, especially at this time of year and during the current circumstances.

      Sending a big thank you to Charlotte for the informative posts, pictures and fashion information.

      Delete
    2. I looked at The Royal Digest for the first time (mainly a Meghan fan), and loved it! Thanks so much for your time is putting it together. Very interesting to see what the other royals were doing ... and wearing.

      Delete
  5. Lovely for them to remember and to say Thank you to the Frontline workers. Canada day must bring some memories back from their first trip to the Country.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many thanks for your kind comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think William forgot to button his shirt😂😄🤣

    And Sunny looks a lot like Megan Markle.

    I'm loving Kate's straight hair and side part

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto on Kate’s hair! 😍

      Delete
  8. Thank you for your continued posting on The Duchess of Cambridge, it is hard work and I hope others will cheer you on. Thank you also for letting us know about your blog. Yeah just what the the Doctor ordered. PS I am going with the bespoke McQueen , great colour for Canada Day. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember so well being in the crowd at Parliament Hill to get a glimpse of William and Kate. It was an incredibly, exceedingly hot day and I was glad I wasn’t in a long sleeved dress and heels!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Firstly, Charlotte well done. Fantastic blog and a new one to me. Thank you. I've previously mentioned that the Duchess is blooming in the countryside. They both are looking at the latest video. Heartwarming to see the Duke in a hospital on his mother's birthday. Zoom, I know, but the Duke knows as do we that's probably where his late mother would of spent her birthday. In a hospital or a hospice with the sick, dying or those suffering in life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hands down, Kate's Canada Day outfit is one of my favorites. Just the right mix of colors to celebrate the flag but it still looked effortless. I'm not a big fan of brooches, but that Maple Leaf is just gorgeous!!!! It's always lovely to reminisce about that day :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. its good too see duke and duchess taking parts of Canada day and giving support to the doctor and nurse and inspiring as to be good citizen or the nation with inspiring each other and pride within the uk

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for filling a massive gap with your other blog! In 2019 two of my biggest sources for other royal families stopped posting and I absolutely miss the coverage. Knowing how detailed and well informed you write here an on MAM, I am very much locking forward to your coverage of the rest.
    C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to add- I agree Kate's outfit with the red hat was one of her best choices ever. It has defenitely stood the test of time, as I think she could wear it today and the look would still look elegeant and fresh. That is how I feel about a lot her style in the early years of her marriage. Yes, the skirts were short and she flashed us a few times, but I don't think sporting a shorter skirt or a deeper neckline is in any way unfitting for a royal in general. She looked great and I still hope she will bring back many of those pieces. Saldy in the last years her style has become less timeless and many pieces look very outdated already. People excused her more expensive pieces (I am not talking about great evening robes here) by saying she would repeat them- that has cleraly not been the case for the more "fashionable" ones. It is indeed the classics and the casual pieces that we see again and again.
      I also would love to see her trying a different approach jewelery wise. Especially when we talk about tiaras. She should either go back to the smaller Halo or Lotus as they do sit perfectly on her face and body frame or, if she insists on the Lover's Knot, she should try a more voluminous updo to let it sit differently on her head. Kate has been wearing some bigger pieces from the vault- hopefully she will continue to do so. Those occasions scream for big jewels and it would be a shame not to let them sparkle. As her private taste seems to be more minimal I suspect she isn't fully comfortable with them- at least that is what her styling to date indicates to me. Maybe she can take a closer look at Maxima and Victoria at those occasions to get some inspiration.

      Delete
  14. Lovely post to brighten our day. Thank you. Also thrilled to hear about your Royal Digest blog. I look forward to learning more about other royal families and it also means that you are writing about Sophie. I've long admired her for sticking with her duty during initially very challenging times, in the same way Kate did.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hurray for the Royal Digest blog! I’m going straight there now :) Thank you for keeping us updated on all things Royal, Charlotte!
    I’m loving Kate’s red McQueen tweed dress ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  16. Caroline in Montana2 July 2020 at 14:35

    I am beyond excited the Royal Digest Blog is BACK! I loved it before and will certainly be over there too:) Thank you for bringing it back!!

    Really like this dress that Kate is wearing, her makeup seems heavy, but maybe that's because we just saw her in the opposite? I hope they keep up these zoom calls as much as needed, i really think it makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just want to say a heartfelt thank you for your interest and enthusiasm about the new blog. It is greatly appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE the new (to me) Royal Digest!! Saw it a few days back and meant to ask, but just enjoyed it instead! Great job Charlotte and many thanks! I am really loving Kate's new straight hair and side part, and the red tweed McQueen dress, its so Kate!! A very 'smart look'. Particularly love that Kate and William are giving a nod to Canada Day by acknowledging the front line workers. I wonder if they decide ahead of time their questions and who will ask, etc., because they don't seem to interrupt each other and seem to trade off quite easily. cc

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you Charlotte for this post. Also so pleased about the new venture. Good to have information about other royals all in one easy access place. So thank you very much for that.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So excited to see Charlotte’s excellent coverage extending to the other royals. My top two bookmarks(This site and Mad About Meghan) will be expanding to three now!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Royal Digest has been missed. This is a biggie. Surely the announcement deserved its own post and comment section? I am thinking you are too modest but there seems to be a positive response to your announcement. A separate post would allow the comments to focus on the new (old) blog. I notice some who commented on RD also wrote in the Kate post comments.
    Kate's Wimbledon film could be a great jumping off point for a Wimbledon reminiscence. Her comments last week on IG supporting the Holdstill2020 photo exhibit could be added, if time constraints have been limiting Kate posts to summaries of recent activities. There were quite a few Kate comments on IG and they were personal for those who submitted photos. It was an update on her project with NPG that I fear was largely overlooked.
    What do I know about blogging? I just am a fan reader. I will leave it to the experts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,

      Thank you for your comment. We're expecting some news on Hold Still very soon and the IG comments will form part of that post.

      I wrote a large piece on Kate's history with Wimbledon in 2017 https://hrhduchesskate.blogspot.com/2017/06/kate-loves-wimbledon.html

      Delete
  22. A very enthusiastic 'thumbs up' Charlotte for giving us 'royal sensory overload'!! I have a job, hmmm will have to factor in more royal time during breaks and lunch :P!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. so nice to see them celebrating Canada Day! Very proud to be Canadian myself

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Charlotte I'm so happy you are writing the royal digest blog again! I really love that blog

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very excited about this Royal Digest blog. I like to read briefly about other royals, but find most coverage so poorly written. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That's so nice to see them. I visited Surrey hospital during my pregnancy when I was visiting vancouver

    ReplyDelete
  27. I feel so sad about Wimbledon. The Canada 🇨🇦 tour was spectacular, wow was that 9 years ago! Time flies!
    Royal 👑 Watcher

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! Constructive discussion is always encouraged but off topic or hateful remarks will not be published.

We ask you use a name when posting (a pseudonym such as the name of a royal you like or anything you wish). If you do not wish to use the sign in options, simply select the "Name/URL" option on the drop down menu and insert your name, and if you wish the country/state you're from. You can leave the URL blank.

If there are a large number of comments, it is necessary to click the 'Load More' button at the end of the comments section to see the latest additions.