Friday 2 July 2021

Duchess Kate in Navy & White for Wimbledon

The Duchess of Cambridge made her first Wimbledon appearance of 2021 today for an afternoon of courtside action and learning more about how facilities were put to good use during the pandemic.

After the championships were cancelled last year, there was an incredible buzz surround the tournament -- one of the central sporting events of the British summer calendar. The Duchess adores tennis and became Patron of the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club in December 2016. Kate has attended several times per year whenever possible.

The entire Middleton family have a similar enthusiastic interest in tennis, with Kate once revealing Roger Federer is her mother's secret crush. Kate is also a keen amateur player. The Cambridges have a tennis court at their country home, Anmer Hall, where they enjoy a spot of friendly competition. 

The Duchess previously revealed George and Charlotte have already took it up --  and it won't be long until Louis joins his siblings.

Kate joined popular commentator and former Wimbledon semi-finalist Tim Henman and AELTC Chief Executive Sally Bolton for a match on one of the outer courts.

On Twitter, Kensington Palace hailed the opportunity to return to the "iconic grounds".

In pre-covid times, spectators from all over the world descended upon the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club for a fortnight of unforgettable tennis.

320,000 glasses of Pimm's and 140,000 portions of English strawberries are consumed on average. Steeped in tradition, it's also the only tennis major played on grass, with players donning white, precisely as they did a century ago. It is the only Grand Slam tournament with a Royal Box.

This year, guests are required to show proof of Covid-19 status and wear face masks while moving around venue grounds.


Kate joined Executive Chef Adam Fargin in the grounds kitchen to hear how it has been used by the AELTC over the past year to prepare and distribute 200 daily hot meals for the local community in response to the pandemic.


The Duchess gets to work in the kitchen.


Of course, strawberries are on the menu. 


A video of Kate preparing afternoon tea.

Kate was excited to try the 'reaction station'.

She joked, "No one told me I should have worn trousers."

Hello! reports:

'She scored 24 in 30 seconds with the world record said to be 56.

Kate added: "The ones in the corners are really difficult. It is an amazing programme for coordination as it's got that lateral movement."

Kate's next port of call was the museum.

The Duchess viewed the Andy Murray portrait, by Maggi Hambling, which is on loan from her patronage the National Portrait Gallery. Kate said she "loves" it, adding "It has a lot of movement. It is very pretty. I like the concept of taking portraits back to the cities or home towns or here, it is such a good idea." Indeed, Kate will be cheering on Andy this evening as he competes in the third round. 

The Duchess admired awards and trophies. 

From there, the Duchess joined the Duke of Kent in the Royal Box.

The Duke has served as President since 1969.


The duo watched Ons Jabeur defeat Garbiñe Muguruza.


The Duchess was stylish in a summery navy and white ensemble.


Kate brought back her Smythe Duchess blazer. I saw a tweet from fellow blogger Carly noting it's been a decade sine the Duchess first publicly donned the piece ahead of the 2011 Canada tour. The one button wool blazer is available at ShopBop and Saks Fifth Avenue


Georgie's Mum via Twitter identified Kate's skirt as the Pleated Polka-Dot Silk Midi Skirt by Alessandra Rich. It's currently reduced from $1,030 to $618 at Net-A-Porter.


The piece is described:
'Alessandra Rich's Spring '21 'Euphoria' collection is inspired by the optimism and joy of dressing up, which is encapsulated so perfectly by this pleated skirt. It's made from fluid silk patterned with dainty polka dots and falls to a midi hem.'

A closer look at the pleated detail.


The Duchess carried Mulberry's Amberley Crossbody bag in white small classic grain. It's currently reduced from £675 to £472 on Mulberry's website.


Kate accessorised with her Simone Rocha pearl earrings.


Kate layered her Spells of Love Satellite Necklace with her Daniella Draper pendant.




The Duchess sported her Wimbledon bow.




We also saw Kate's Ray-Ban Youngster sunglasses.


Kate completed the look with a pair of white shoes.


As I publish this, I'm watching Andy Murray fight for a place in the fourth round. It's shaping up to be an excellent tournament. 

36 comments:

  1. I like her outfit! But I'm ready for her to change her jewellery up now as she's worn it quite a few times in a row, it feels like! Overall impression though = lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those white pumps... it-s a no for me...nor the shirt.... but the jacket is fine...but it doesn-t match the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Anon. I think white espadrilles would've worked well! The pumps, the blazer, and the skirt are sending mixed messages. :)

      Delete
    2. I really like Kate’s outfit today. The white pumps remind me of the 80’s. I agree with Lacy, I would have loved to see her wear a white espadrille…it would give it a more casual look yet keeping it classy. I do like everything else…jacket, top, skirt and purse. I would have liked her hair in a ponytail too-casual yet classic. Overall, well done 👍🏻

      Delete
  3. I like Kate in skirts and this one is absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found she already has a Alessandra Rich dress in the same polka dot style:
    https://www.regalfille.com/product/alessandra-rich-pleated-polka-dot-silk-crepe-de-chine-midi-dress/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im actually curious if the dress isn't separates as a while ago she wore the top from the dress with trousers.

      Delete
    2. @SirOreo I believe you're referring to what was actually a Tory Burch top.

      Delete
  5. Maybe a repeat, can’t tell if my first post went through.

    I can’t tell what the mask guidance in England is right now, seeing how Kate is wearing one today but didn’t at the football game earlier this week. If she’s being extra cautious because of the new variant, good for her. I’m vaxxed but thinking it might be a good idea to mask up indoors and start avoiding indoor dining again. So confusing.

    Anyway, fashion. It’s hard to match navy blues. The colors in Kate’s skirt and blazer look “off” to me. Glad she didn’t try another version of navy in her shoe selection, much as I don’t care for white pumps. How striking would she have looked wearing that skirt with green blazer being sported by her companion? I always think that navy blue looks great with bright green or orange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rules are different for different places. Wimbledon requires guests to wear masks when they're moving around the grounds but they can have them off when seated.

      Delete
  6. I must start by saying that I noticed a photo of HM at the Windsor Horse Trials/Show. HM was wearing a blouse and vest sporting an amazing smile with perfect hair and accessories. HM never fails to impress from head to toe. Kate looks good today as she is in her happy place I have no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is not fair -- I haven't had breakfast yet and those photos of Pimm's and strawberries are killing me!! I think her outfit is just perfect and it looks great on her -- I did not get her skinny green dress last year, so I'm glad to see the change. :) I live the white shoes -- it would have been good to not have a handbag, but I don't think that ever occurs. This is, however, one of those rare times that the full outfit on the model would have been really exciting to see. I'm surprised, a little, that some of her family did not attend, knowing how they all love tennis. Mayne later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As always great look, for Dss Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Am watching Andy right now too.

    I like the various parts of DoC's outfit but not together, and I really dislike white shoes. The skirt is gorgeous and I want one.

    Those reaction game things are difficult!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping Andy can turn the match around. Amazing performance from Shapovalov tonight.

      Delete
  10. I think this is a cute look. The white shoes make it feel more summery, while still looking professional. Thanks as always for your informative posts! Sue

    ReplyDelete
  11. She should have purchased the top that the model is wearing. So cute and looks so chic...would have looked beautiful on her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kb, thanks for mentioning the top the model is wearing. I went back to look at it, and I agree with you-it’s adorable! I hope Kate has this in her closet and we’ll see her wear it sometime soon. It would look great on her and very versatile. :)

      Delete
  12. Zora from Prague2 July 2021 at 21:05

    I think the ensemble is spot-on. Good to see Kate not just watching but also getting a little tour of the place and talking to the Duke of Kent. Thank you, Charlotte!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Zora! She looks fresh & happy 😊 I love her Smythe blazer & how she keeps items in her wardrobe for at least a decade. Maybe she’ll be like Princess Anne & bring out pieces decades later!

      Delete
    2. Zora from Prague5 July 2021 at 08:26

      I think it is quite possible, Kiwi Gal! 😀 Some of her pieces are really timeless!

      Delete
  13. I am so glad to see. white shoes as opposed to nude shoes and I agree with another post that it would have been too much to have a third shade of navy in the shoe. I, however think the Smythe blazer needs to go bye-bye. I never have been a fan of the cutout in the back. But from the front it looks very good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @IntriguedByRoyals - she can send it to me then! I love their blazers and this one in particular!

      Delete
  14. I think her white top might be the same she wore when photographed with Prince Louis by Chi. Also, shoe look like the one she wore for Prince Charles's birthday celebration.

    DP

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this event. I am a tennis player so it is so fun to see Catherine's attendance and shots from the venue. Love the they provided so many meals over the last year. Agree that while Catherine really looked great and blended in with all those she was with her outfit was a bit off, the first thing that I noticed were the white shoes, which to me did not work. Her repeat of jewelry I find interesting, it may be a comfort thing for her. I get wanting to wear certain pieces of jewelry at certain times or repeatedly because of the familiarity of the piece or because it was a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really don’t like the white shoes and bag. Especially the shoes are a big no-no for me. At first I hoped she might have altered the dress she wore for Charles 70s birthday pictures. I really hated it, but altering it into a skirt would have been a great idea. The skirt, top, blazer combo is nice. I am not a huge fan of the Smythe trademark with the cut back (reminds me of a penguin), but thankfully you don’t see it from the front or the sides.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope she does have the top! I would be happier if the shoes and handbag had gold accents. And HM looks just amazing! And her dress on meeting with Angela Merkel is just so pretty -- her clothes are like little pieces of art. I think perhaps her husband has been suffering and she is happy that he is at peace.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think the outfit is cute, trendy and summery. And can we talk about her hair? Gorgeous. The only thing I don't like is the bag, bit I'm more of a clutch person. Still, it suits the outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Charlotte, I too was cheering Andy on. He did fantastic. Hopefully will come back fighting next year. The Duchess looked beautiful at the tennis. She seemed to be really enjoying her time there. My only hope now is that she brings your namesake Princess Charlotte to the finals. I think that would be fair considering George got to go to the football. S. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  20. She hasn’t worn her watch for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A few comments, as someone mentioned she has not worn her watch in a bit:). The white shoes to me looked off, maybe a sandal style would have worked?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Charlotte - the BBC is reporting that Kate has to self-isolate for 10 days. I'm gutted - was so looking forward to seeing her at various events (hopefully more Wimbledon as well as NHS stuff and maybe even more football). It's silly really but we probably won't see her afterwards much because the kids will break up and they'll probably take the royal traditional summer break. Such a shame!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love watching Wimbledon tennis is a fabulous sport. Lovely look from Kate but I’m not so sure of the shoes I would have liked to seen her espadrilles or navy pumps.
    And now we will see no more of her Wimbledon outfits as she is isolating…. Roll on 2022!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't understand the criticism of the white pumps. I know they're not worn a lot these days, but I think they are appropriate with a skirt and blazer, since they are classic business wear, and Kate was working in her capacity as patron. That little matching top on the model is so cute, and would have looked great on Kate, elongating her legs and shortening the torso. It wwould have been a less business like look, though.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sheryl from BC Canada7 July 2021 at 20:45

    I LOVE the white pumps and handbag. So refreshing and summer classic instead of nude pumps anc clutches. The shape of the skirt is beautiful with her long legs and torso, ditto the jacket. The cut out back is still a bit kicky and out of the ordinary and fits well and takes it out of "business class". I'm glad that she's isolating...this D variant is really something different and the possibility of being a spreader is frightening, considering the amount of people that both she and William have been in contact with in their last visits.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! Constructive discussion is always encouraged but off topic or hateful remarks will not be published.

We ask you use a name when posting (a pseudonym such as the name of a royal you like or anything you wish). If you do not wish to use the sign in options, simply select the "Name/URL" option on the drop down menu and insert your name, and if you wish the country/state you're from. You can leave the URL blank.

If there are a large number of comments, it is necessary to click the 'Load More' button at the end of the comments section to see the latest additions.