Tuesday 21 February 2023

Kate's Touching Shrove Tuesday Visit to Oxford House Nursing Home

The Princess of Wales paid a special Shrove Tuesday visit to Oxford House Nursing Home in Slough today.

Located a mere fifteen minutes drive from the Waleses' Windsor home, it's an ideal engagement which can be carried out in plenty of time to pick up the children from Lambrook, and Kate spoke today about plans to make pancakes with the children after school. Whilst the family were based at Kensington Palace, we often saw their schedules organised in a London-centric manner. The move is very much lending itself to spending more time outside of the capital, which is an added bonus at this stage in their royal roles.

People often ask me, what 'makes' a royal engagement? That answer may be a little different for each of us. For me, it's very simple -- the ability to put a smile on someone's face, to highlight a deserving group of people who may be otherwise overlooked, and in today's case it's the visible joy Kate's visit brought the staff and residents of Oxford House Nursing Home.

As Kate donned a mask for the visit, it was a stark reminder of the unimaginable circumstances and lack of support nursing homes around the country battled during the pandemic. I've heard first-hand accounts which can only be categorised as horror stories. Amidst the devastation they dealt with, it was the courage and dedication of staff which shone a light on the fantastic people working in the sector -- many of whom were separated from their families for weeks to care for their residents at a time when they didn't have enough PPE and felt completely alone. We will never be able to repay our front-line heroes and though the news cycle and talking points have long since move on, there are so many of us who owe them more than words can say. Speaking about the mask, Kate said: "I thought we were over the masks. Just when we have got used to it. But it’s important just in case."

Kensington Palace said: "Oxford House is a family-run nursing home that first opened its doors to residents in 1980. The home provides nursing care for up to 34 residents, supporting them to live as full a life as possible, and prides itself on providing outstanding levels of care delivered within a homely and comfortable environment. Oxford House also operates a domiciliary care organisation, Oxford House Community Care, which provides support to enable people in the local area to reside safely and independently in their own homes."

A Palace spokesperson noted Kate learned about Oxford House’s use of "cutting edge, interactive technology to stimulate and enrich the daily lives of residents". This includes the use of an interactive sensory table which was purchased in 2020 as a creative response to the pandemic and associated restrictions, and a new interactive wall which will be used to support residents with dementia.

Then it was time for light-hearted laughter as Kate participated in making pancakes. Kate joked she was "really nervous" and said "this is how not to make pancakes".

People reports:

'Kate laughed when the pancake in her flying pan became stuck, using a spatula to separate it and then get it a little flip.

"I'm sorry," the Princess of Wales told one of the people helping to make the pancakes, according to a video shared on Twitter by The Sun's Matt Wilkinson. "I haven't done you justice."

Kate told a resident named Sheila that their family would be making pancakes together for the holiday.

"I either get pancakes stuck on the floor or on the ceiling, but the children are very well and we will be making our own pancakes this evening with the children," she said, according to Isabella Perrin with the Bucks Free Press.'

It was great to see the banter during the pancake making. We've all been there (in my case the first pancake in each batch is an unmitigated disaster...without fail :)) The press pack was standing around Kate, a photographer and camera crew, so it's quite intense. These off-guard, candid moments are always good to see and the atmosphere was one of joviality.

Kate described her pancake as a "congealed blob".

The Princess had the privilege of spending time with 109 year-old resident Nora Muchmore.

A video of the meeting.

Hello! writes:

'Kate was told that Nora had celebrated her birthday on 7th January. "That's two days before mine," she remarked as she tenderly rested her hands on Nora's knee. "Fellow Capricorn!" she then added with a laugh.

The Princess then asked Nora what her favourite thing to eat is. After some prompting, the older lady replied that she it was kidneys and Brussel sprouts.

"Oh kidneys!" Kate replied. "I love kidneys too!"

Kate spent time with residents and their loved ones.

The Mail Online reports:

'The princess sat down to play with Jean Wilkinson, 87, and admired her knitted toy mascot, John.

‘Hello darling,’ said Jean. ‘Who is this this? John? Your daughter knitted it for you. Well he must be very special,’ said Kate. ‘I’ve tried my hand at knitting before and it’s hard work. She [your daughter] is very clever. Will you say hello to her when you see her for me.’

She laughed as Jean rolled up her sleeve to play her at table football, after staff told her she was ‘the champion’ at it. ‘We’ll have a game shall we? How do you play this game? I’m used to playing table football with the kids,’ said Kate as she used a small inflatable rod to push the virtual football towards Jean’s goal. ‘You could be here all day here, couldn’t you? Well done Jean, you’re brilliant! You’ve given me a chance, haven’t you?’

A wave goodbye from the Princess as she departed. I do very much hope we see many more similar visits scheduled around the country.

The Princess opted for a camel and navy look.

Kate wore her camel Max & Co Longrun coat.

Middleton Maven suggests Kate's navy turtleneck is a Ralph Lauren piece. The lightweight piece is described: "Fine featherweight Italian cashmere and hand-finished seams add refinement to the iconic turtleneck jumper."

Kate sported her navy suede Emmy London Josie pumps.

And carried her Mini No 7 Poléne Paris bag.

A closer look at Kate's new earrings. They look quite vintage.

Embed from Getty Images

And on that note, enjoy your pancakes today. My other half surprised me with bakery pancakes earlier (the decision to do so, of course, has nothing at all to do what my culinary challenges as described earlier in the post :)).

45 comments:

  1. This visit is very close to my heart.So precious to give joy and bring awareness to such important causes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely loved reading about this visit! I am always so impressed with the natural way Catherine has with her one-on-one interactions, no matter who she’s speaking with- children, seniors, everyone! I know public speaking is an important part of the job but while one can get better at giving speeches, this genuine way she has in connecting with people is a quality that one can’t fake. She’s the real deal! I loved her outfit, too. So elegant and classic but she also looked very comfortable when kneeling down to speak with the residents. I agree with Charlotte- I’d love to see more of these types of visits.
    Kim in Saratoga, USA

    ReplyDelete
  3. As someone who otherwise prides herself on her culinary skills but can never quite manage to flip pancakes and eggs (or to fold omelets) properly, I sympathize with the Princess and her sad little Shrove Tuesday effort. It looks very much like one of mine! My husband's not much of a cook, but he's great at the flipping and folding stuff. I wonder how well Prince William manages in the kitchen.

    Navy and camel represent a classic and very polished combination, though I think I would have preferred a lighter-colored sweater to the all-navy look. Something that harmonized with the camel, perhaps a light sand or dark ivory shade, would have worked nicely. And I cringed at the pictures of the Princess trying to make a pancake without wearing an apron! If it had been me, the pancake would almost certainly have ended up stuck to my navy sweater, possibly to its permanent detriment.

    Those earrings are interesting, and yes, they do look vintage. I haven't seen earrings like that for quite a long time. The Princess has worn a couple of other vintage pieces. I'd love to know where she bought them and the earrings. (Then again, perhaps these belonged to her mother.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vittorio, there is definitely a knack to flipping. It can be hit and miss. I just wait till set and turn with a spatula. With omelettes I do the same thing unless I've added ingredients to the eggs, I finish it under the grill works very well. Those earrings do look very 80ts. I was thinking her Mother or Mother in law as well. S.🙂.

      Delete
    2. This was a lovely visit today. I used to visit a Grandaunt in a home until two years ago. It was a lovely place but very expensive for her family. It's really sad to see some of them just being happy if you say hello or have a quick chat with them. I have to agree with a previous comment. Her warmth and kindness really shows with children and older people. I love that coat on her and looks very nice with navy. The earrings are interesting, I hope someone can find more information on them. That pancake is probably the worse I've seen. 😱. I would love to see Prince Williams face or the children if she put that in front of them. Charlotte, my pancake tip for you is, just buy a crepe maker and shop bought batter. Job done 👌. Charlotte any update on your new project? S.🙂.

      Delete
    3. My mom had 3 pairs like this in the 80s in red, white and blue and oh my, did I feel FABULOUS when I dressed up in them! And now they’re “vintage” 😭

      Delete
  4. Love the visit, touching communication and the outfit! Which is appropriate, professional, modern, put together, elegant, comfortable, flattering and more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a beautiful visit, it tugs at my heart. So splendid to see the interaction between the residents and Catherine. More visits such as this would be fantastic, what a thrill for the residents and staff, a real pick me up.
    Loved the outfit. The Navy ensemble I love, my favourite color, smart, quietly chic and elegant. The camel coat was a nice addition. The Navy shoes and bag looked perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved her bag 😍

      Kiwi Gal

      Delete
    2. Agree, I love bags. Ali

      Delete
  6. Toujours aussi élégante : je trouve qu'elle se révèle davantage chaque jour
    et si certains pouvaient penser qu'elle était parfois trop "stricte", je pense que c'est parce que jusqu'à présent elle se retenait et faisait attention au protocole par respect envers la Reine Elisabeth
    Merci pour ce blog que je suis avec grand plaisir

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find this look boring. Way too much of the same "uniform" from Catherine. Do wear repeat items from your amazing wardrobe, but make them a bit more interesting. I am a fan, but I read she does not want to be known for her fashion and wants the emphasis to be on her work. The items she wears can be pricey. Mix it up a little. She can be known for her work and her fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first pancake can be a disaster because the pan is not yet hot enough. Use butter - very heat stable fat. Hey to hot without burning. Be patient. Placing your hand over the pan to feel the intense heat is a good indicator that the pan is ready. It should cook in minutes, flip and serve. Lemon and sugar - to accompany - of course ;-)
    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the pancake tips, Adrienne ;)

      Kiwi Gal

      Delete
  9. This is a lovely outfit & even lovelier occasion. ;) what an incredible nursing home! Kate is wearing a nice color combo and she’s so good around people. Love the pancake making. Thanks Charlotte! Sue from IL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! This was a remarkably different vibe from Kate. The video highlighted so many sweet interactions. Her kind gestures and louder tone of voice are a welcome change and just right for the engagement. So good to see her! Thanks Charlotte! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like a good visit and one that took some time. She looked great -- both duchesses have been wearing this style well. That blue is just so pretty. I really liked the earrings -- I used to have similar ones in the 1980s and I thought they looked great!!

    Pancakes can be so easy if the pan is hot enough and oily enough but impossible otherwise! I would not want to cook a pancake while being watched. It actually must be hard to do it all, visiting and chatting and playing games, while being photographed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just agreeing with everyone else - loved the visit and the outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This visit is just heartwarming! As much as we enjoy seeing Catherine interacting with children, I'm so glad she put the focus on the seniors as well. Of course she looked lovely, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Valerie in Arizona21 February 2023 at 22:19

    I confess that as this is my last "dessert" day until after Lent I indulged in carrot cake at lunch today. I did also have a couple of protein waffles for breakfast--those are almost like pancakes aren't they? A few of my more elderly friends have died over the past year so it was poignant to read about Kate's visit. Thank you as always Charlotte for your sensitive and thought-provoking reporting on what these folk mean to us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely visit. Catherine's outfit looked great, polished and great for the visit. ali

    ReplyDelete
  16. A very nice visit today and her outfit was spot on! Classic and polished.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love this day & love Kate's ensemble!! Is is just me, or has Kate just "come to life", in a new authentically charged way!? It seems like after "the book" she's really got a little lift in her step!?

    I've read that she has a new woman assisting her, that she wanted someone outside the normal "courtier" crowd..... I've read that she wanted someone who would not be just a "yes" person, but someone that would "shake things up"!?

    Whatever it is..... Kate is an Amazing Princess of Wales & just goes from strength to strength!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Becca! Perhaps there's a bit more permission to let down a stiff upper lip and show her authentic self. I, for one, really appreciate it.

      Delete
  18. As with her interactions with young children, Princess Kate is just delightful in these interactions with the elderly. As she focusses on each person, she brings warmth, a gentle touch, and good humour. And what a good sport she was during the pancake making - appropriately self deprecating without letting any embarrassment create awkwardness for her hosts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely visit and the home looks like a lovely place to be. She always is so kind and thoughtful and good fun in her interactions with the residents. I haven't made pancakes in a long while so maybe this weekend I will treat myself ; ) Her outfit is classic and polished although the pants look a tiny bit too long for me, I dislike it when pants touch the ground. The earrings are interesting and a nice choice for this outfit and as Vittoria said could they be her mothers or something from Diana's jewelry box? they are very 80's in style. Sue in WA

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great visit! The pictures really show how caring she is. The outfit is very nice, but I would have loved to see a long necklace or scarf as a finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! A scarf or long necklace would’ve have finished her outfit perfectly. I think Kate sometimes struggles with accessories. Which is ironic, as she was once an accessories buyer for Jigsaw.

      Kiwi Gal

      Delete
  21. I think this was a wonderful visit! She has such an ease with people and that is so important. Thankfully we never had to use nursing homes for my relatives, we had one stay in a memory care facility but he passed away shortly after he moved in. At their ages and in nursing homes, allowing people to keep their dignity is especially important and I think she does a fantastic job by speaking to the individual first before speaking with who ever is sitting with them.

    As for the pancake - I can’t flip a pancake out of the pan at all - I started using a griddle because they kept sticking to the pan. It’s much easier to flip from a flat griddle and not up and out of a pan.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice reminder of all the hard work that nursing staff has done for our elders during the pandemic. The Princess looks very pretty today. She looked like she was enjoying herself. I made cinnamon rolls from the can that pops open , because I can’t make a pancake to save myself.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Her Majesty passed knowing that Catherine would take on her duties with so much grace and kindness. Well done, Princess.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this look. Smooth and polished. What a fun day for the residents, and her humor about the pancake was great. She's just fun.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I absolutely love this engagement!! Such a darling scene to see Kate interact with these ladies! The stories they could tell… how I wish to be a fly on the wall to hear them all. With regards to her wardrobe, these combination of tan and blue, go hand in hand very nicely. She looked lovely and so engaged with the residents. 💙

    ReplyDelete
  26. I so dislike the extra long trousers dragging on the ground. I cannot understand this trend.

    She looks amazing anyway. And what a wonderful engagement. She’s really a gem.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for posting this Charlotte. Such a lovely visit. Catherine is so beautiful and I cannot imagine the delight these residents had today chatting with her. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello :) A spot of Rugby on Saturday (4.45pm).

    "The Prince of Wales, Patron of the Welsh Rugby Union (WRU), and The Princess of Wales, Patron of the Rugby Football Union, will attend the Wales vs England Six Nations Match at the Principality Stadium".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be nice to see Prince George. Isn't he a sports fan? GA

      Delete
  29. I absolutely love this engagement!! Such a darling scene to see the princess of wales interacting was touching and love she hands on during her visit

    ReplyDelete
  30. it would be ice to see the prince george and princess charlotte on the matches

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you Charlotte for another lovely post. Kate looks regal and it is so important to treat seniors with dignity and respect. If you don't see me for a while it is not because I have left but my father died today unexpectedly. He died also on my mother's bday today and my mother died as you know just over a year ago. Thanks as always for your kindness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, I am just SO sorry for your second loss! You are such a kind person, and I do remember when your dear mother died. Sending you lots of hugs.

      Delete
    2. I am so sorry to hear about this sad sudden loss. Take care of yourself during this difficult time. GA

      Delete
    3. So sorry to hear about your losses. Take care of you and yours.

      Delete
    4. Just wanted to come on and thank you three for your kind words. It means a lot in my deep sorrow. Hope to be back when I feel better.xx

      Delete
  32. Thought and prayers, Melissa

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! Constructive discussion is always encouraged but off topic or hateful remarks will not be published.

We ask you use a name when posting (a pseudonym such as the name of a royal you like or anything you wish). If you do not wish to use the sign in options, simply select the "Name/URL" option on the drop down menu and insert your name, and if you wish the country/state you're from. You can leave the URL blank.

If there are a large number of comments, it is necessary to click the 'Load More' button at the end of the comments section to see the latest additions.