Friday 24 February 2023

Take a Step Back in Time with The Royal Decade & Upcoming Wales Engagements

Good afternoon, dear readers,

I am enormously excited to finally share a new royal project I've been working on. Inspired by a desire to create a sense of unity among royal watchers and to discuss so many of my favourite times in royal watching -- times gone by. Thus The Royal Decade is born. A blog which will take a step back in time and for its first year focus entirely on the 1950s. From Queen Elizabeth II's coronation, to the earliest years of Princess Grace of Monaco's life as a newlywed in the Principality, major historical occasions and, of course, a good dose of fashion, I hope this will be a space for sharing knowledge, insightful thoughts and respectful conversation.

If you would like to pop on over for a first look (yes, dear readers, there is quite a bit to do still but it's an enjoyable work in progress) please click here to visit the welcome page. The first series of posts is a three-parter beginning with 'The Society Wedding of 1953'. Attended by a young Queen Elizabeth II and Princess Margaret it is not only a recounting of a decidedly regal occasion, it's very much a love story. Click here to read the post in full.

Embed from Getty Images

I'm looking forward to seeing familiar names over there :)

************

I also have an update to share on Kate's upcoming engagements. Tomorrow, there's going to be more than a touch of friendly competition when the Princess (patron of England Rugby) and the Prince (patron of Welsh Rugby) travel to the Principality Stadium in Cardiff for their Six Nations match. The game kicks off at 4.45 pm.

Then on Tuesday, the Prince and Princess have several engagements scheduled in South Wales. Now, this leads to an interesting possibility. With William and Kate arriving in Cardiff on Saturday afternoon, is it possible they will in fact stay in Wales until the conclusion of Tuesday's engagements? Perhaps undertaking additional events in between or spending a day or two at their Welsh property, Llwynywermod, near Llandovery.

Bought in 2007 by the Duchy of Cornwall, the farmhouse was refurbished using local materials and the skills of Welsh craftspeople. It was often used by the King and Queen Consort and is now a Welsh residence for William, Kate and the children. A primary reason given for the absence of a pre-coronation tour for the couple was the plan to spend a significant time in Wales. Perhaps the coming days might provide a time to do just that?

UPDATE - Kensington Palace has confirmed the Prince and Princess will "visit the 1st Battalion Welsh Guards on Wednesday 1st March to attend the St David’s Day Parade. This will be the first time the Prince has visited the Welsh Guards since becoming colonel of the regiment".

I'll see you tomorrow!

22 comments:

  1. Hello Charlotte I am very excited to follow your new blog🤗. Looking forward to reading interesting, well written and well researched posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your new blog!! I have found it a little hard to hang on here -- not because of the content, which remains superlative, but because I do believe Harry. I do not want to leave, so this new site offers a place where we can all meet for a common, fun purpose. No worries about family dynamics. And even more important, the visuals are so cool! The Scottish wedding film may have delighted my mother in 1953. Also, I'm not ready to let go of the older royal era -- I don't believe the new era is sustainable, but this site will make me a more enjoyable poster. The dress at the start of this page could easily be reworn and appreciated (minus the cape), and the 1953 fashions are fun to see, having made returns to fashion at least twice since that time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having "Goodnight Sweetheart" vibes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They will also celebrate st Davis day on March 1st!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Prince & Princess will also be attending the Welsh Guards Saint David's Day parade & present leeks on March 1. I'm guessing that will be in Wales too? I'm excited about your new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charlotte, best of luck with this exciting new venture. I love your idea and enjoy looking back on the fashion and royal events through the year.
    Thank you for taking on another big project. I know you are very busy and it is a good deal of work, but as a longtime reader, I miss the fashion polls. GA

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Charlotte. What a wonderful new blog and will I believe prove to very important. So many people have no historical knowledge of the British royal family and this can affect comments, which in turn can adversely impact the social media landscape on this topic. I look forward to following as your blogs are so well researched and written. Will you be shutting down your other blogs?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful, thank you so happy to follow your new blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow! I look forward to adding this to my "blog-must-read-reading-list" and having a good look! Love the royal family and absolutely adore your insightful blogs Charlotte. Keep up the amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your new blog! Thank you for all your hard work in putting it together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful idea! I started loving Grace Kelly/Princess Grace over 30 years ago and was impressed when a long-distance boyfriend in college gave me stationery and Grace Kelly stamps to correspond. I loved reading magazines & books about her & Diana with the boys. I remain impressed with the many wonderful charities and patronages, and I continue to look forward to your posts about Catherine. Thanks for this new journey! Sue from IL

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm looking forward to reading your new blog! I adore the Welsh property. There are quite a few photos online (including interiors). Our last Prince of Wales (who purchased and refurbished it) definitely has good taste. I hope William and Catherine do spend this time in Wales.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for all your hard work, Charlotte. You bring a lot of joy to our troubled world! Anne in California

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello I really loved the new blog! It is very interesting and I would really enjoy reading about past times!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is exciting news!!! Can’t wait to follow along.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much, Charlotte! You are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am super excited about this! I love reading books about the royals in the past. I love the days of more tiaras and jewels and fancier occasions. I am so looking forward to reading your new blog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely idea for the new blog. I live near to Llwynywermod so hoping K&W pay a visit to this beautiful part of Wales. Readers might be interested to know that the estate’s name translates as ‘Wormwood’. It’s named for the wormwood plant and the nearby village of Myddfai was home to the Physicians of Myddfai, a long line of Welsh herbal healers dating back to the 13th century. The area around the village and Llwynywermod is still rich in medicinal plants and there’s also an ancient legend associated with the very first Physician - the lady of Llyn Y Fan Fach lake.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Charlotte, congratulations on your latest project. Looks fab and I'm looking forward to reading it. Am I right in thinking that you can't comment on the new blog without signing up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, thank you so very much! That's correct. The new site uses Disqus. The simplest way is to use an email address and then type in a moniker as your "name". I use the name "The Royal Decade".

      Delete
  20. Congratulations on the new blog. First episode was very interesting. I enjoy all of the updates on your various blogs, which are always well researched and well written. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I’ve been trying to post a comment for awhile here, but it didn’t allow me to and kept asking me to come back later. My comment on St. David’s Day went through, so I thought I’ll try here again.
    All this because I wanted to say how much I appreciate all the work you’ve put into this blog. It can’t be easy though I think it gives you as much pleasure doing it as us reading it.
    It’s almost selfish to say this, but I’m looking forward to many more.
    Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! Constructive discussion is always encouraged but off topic or hateful remarks will not be published.

We ask you use a name when posting (a pseudonym such as the name of a royal you like or anything you wish). If you do not wish to use the sign in options, simply select the "Name/URL" option on the drop down menu and insert your name, and if you wish the country/state you're from. You can leave the URL blank.

If there are a large number of comments, it is necessary to click the 'Load More' button at the end of the comments section to see the latest additions.