Sunday 14 January 2018

Vote for Kate's Best Coat & Gown of 2017!

Hello, Hello, I hope you're all enjoying a wonderful weekend! January is turning out to be a busier than anticipated month on the royal engagement front, meaning we haven't had the opportunity to continue with our end of year polls as promptly as usual. Tonight we're focusing solely on them, asking you to vote for Kate's Best Coat and Gown of 2017!


Best Coat of 2017

The Duchess has one enviable coat collection in an assortment of hues and styles. Last year she debuted a stylish selection of new pieces and brought back previously seen favourites. Kate's first appearance of 2017 was Sunday Service at Sandringham. The Duchess wrapped up in her forest green Sportmax Long Belted Coat. Made of virgin green wool, the coat is from the Autumn/Winter 2016 Collection.


For the Iraq Afghanistan Service of Dedication and Memorial Unveiling in March, the Duchess wore her Michael Kors indigo twill jacquard swing coat with a full skirt and front flap pockets. It marked the first time Kate wore the elegant piece.


Kate's gorgeous dark green Catherine Walker military-style coat with velvet trim did double duty; taking the Duchess from a St Patrick's Day parade to a meeting with President Hollande in Paris.


For a Rugby match in Paris, Kate sported her red Carolina Herrera coat. The double-breasted red coat features a peter pan collar and is made of a double-faced wool and a cashmere mix blend.


Following the terror attacks which took place in Westminster, William, Kate and Harry attended a service of hope at Westminster Abbey. The Duchess wore her M Missoni Long Snake Stitch Coat. Made in Italy, the coat features front button closure and patch pockets. It is described: "Silver metallic threads shimmer within the monochromatic hues defining a textured A-line coat that's visually shaped with an angled zigzag pattern."


On Easter Sunday, the Cambridges joined the Queen and members of the Royal family for service at Windsor. Kate looked chic in her bespoke cream Catherine Walker coat for the occasion. The coat features a princess silhouette and front flap pockets.


In May, the Duchess visited Luxembourg wearing a pale blue Emilia Wickstead coat. The full-skirted garment bore notable resemblance to previous bespoke creations by Ms Wickstead. The light blue colour - one of the colours of the Luxembourg flag - was seen as a nice nod to the country.


The Duchess sported her Christopher Kane silk satin coat for the Queen's garden party at Buckingham Palace. The piece features four panels per side and self-belt.


For the Cambridges arrival in Berlin, the Duchess wore a beautiful cornflower blue Catherine Walker design.


For commemorations, marking the centenary of the first day of Passchendaele, the third Battle of Ypres, the Duchess looked particularly regal in the Alexander McQueen cream coatdress first worn for Princess Charlotte's christening. The fit-and-flare design features wide-winged lapels and a fitted, tailored bodice.


For their second day in Belgium, Kate opted for the Catherine Walker Melrose coatdress. The delicate dusty pink Venetian wool coatdress features hand applique taupe corded lace spreading up from the hem and cuff. The piece is an excellent example of how well the brand achieves understated elegance with timeless designs adorned with beautiful details.


We saw a peek of Kate wearing her much loved Hobbs London Celeste coat as she and William arrived for Sunday service at Crathie Kirk.

Mail Online Twitter Feed

Kate struck gold with the beautiful black velvet Catherine Walker coat she selected for the Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall in November. Jet, glass and silver Swarovski buttons lend a further dimension to the eye-catching structured piece.


On Remembrance Sunday, the Duchess chose the Dolce & Gabbana Crossover Button Coat.


The Duchess brought back her £600 Goat Redgrave Coat in November. The nude A-line shaped coat features side seam diagonal welt pockets. It's described as "classic and sophisticated".


For an 'Away Day' in Birmingham, Duchess Kate wore her GOAT Washington Coat.


In December, Kate was photographed at King's Cross Station wearing the ZARA Checked Coat.


In Manchester, Kate sported the L.K. Bennett Delli Check Coat. The piece is cut from a fine houndstooth weave in virgin wool. It features a crew neckline, a concealed button-down front and military flap pockets and a flared skirt.


Kate brought back one of her most popular maternity pieces in December; the Seraphine Marina Maternity Coat she debuted during a trip to New York in 2014 when she was expecting Princess Charlotte.


At the Grenfell Tower National Memorial Service, Kate wore the Carolina Herrera Double Breasted Double-Faced Wool Coat. The navy coat features distinctive gold buttons, a pleated skirt, raised collar and two flap pockets.


And on Christmas Day, Kate was appropriately festive in the red and green Miu Miu Velvet-trimmed double-breasted tartan wool-blend peacoat.


With over twenty options in this poll, I'm very excited to see which one wins the 'Best Coat Award' this year. Glancing through the entries, it's very interesting to note the increasing dominance of Catherine Walker in Kate's wardrobe. As Kate's role develops I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the fashion relationship grow significantly. Like Diana, Kate has come to rely on the brand for elegant, timeless pieces perfect for the varied occasions attended by the royals. The black velvet Catherine Walker worn for the Festival of Remembrance is exquisite.

Kate's Best Coat of 2017





















 
pollcode.com free polls


Vote for Kate's Best Gown of 2017

Next, we have one of the most fun polls of the year: Kate's Best Gown! The BAFTAs offered a glittering night filled with Hollywood's stars. When it came to choosing a designer to create a gown for the night, Kate turned to McQueen. The black gown features a Bardot neckline, adorned with a violet print and a tiered skirt.


What does a Duchess wear for a gala dinner in Paris? Kate chose an icy blue Jenny Packham gown. As we've come to expect from Packham, the garment was a shimmering creation with intricate embellishment and sheer detail.


It was a green lace Temperley London gown for the National Portrait Gala dinner in March. The long sleeve gown features sheer sleeves with a floral pattern, a bow belt to accentuate the waist and a scooped out back. It's a classic Temperley silhouette.


Kate looked every inch the future Queen in a bespoke pink Marchesa gown for the Spanish State banquet. It features distinctive flared cuffs, a plunging neckline and a v-neckline at the back. It was interesting to see Kate branching out and choosing a new designer for an evening gown.


Kate brought back her DVF Zarita Gown for the Anna Freud Centre Gala Dinner.


Next, it's Kate's Jenny Packham 'Elsa' gown worn for the Royal Variety Performance. The piece features ornate embellishment and sequin detail.


Happy Voting!

Kate's Best Gown of 2017






 
pollcode.com free polls

I'm sitting here enjoying every moment of The Coronation, a superb programme marking the 65th anniversary of the Queen's coronation. It's so insightful and fascinating to hear the Queen recalling her memories, very frankly and with plenty of humour. Host Alastair Bruce remarked on the coronation: "It's such a ballet, everyone knows precisely where to go." To which HM replied: "Well they jolly well should have done after the number of rehearsals we had." :) I thoroughly enjoyed the historical information, seeing the jewels, and hearing memories from those involved in the Coronation. The star of the show was undoubtedly Her Majesty though. It's a historic piece of television and will be referenced for generations. If you haven't had the opportunity to see it I'm sure it will emerge soon; it's well worth a watch and will be of immense interest to any royalist. Charlie Proctor shared this clip of the Queen mischievously jostling with the Crown.


We'll see you on Tuesday when William and Kate have a day of engagements in Coventry.

44 comments:

  1. The coat collection was extraordinary this year. It was hard to pick a favorite. I love the tartan coat as it so unique and fitting for the occasion. I am also excited to see the shorter hemlines, and hope it is a style that will be around for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Coronation is due to begin this evening, on our Smithsonian channel, here across the pond at 8 p.m. I am looking forward to viewing same. I have very much anticipated this program, along with both Victoria on PBS and The Crown on Netflix.

    Thank you for your continued attention to the Royal Family and in providing us with coverage of their varied events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are in for a treat, it was fantastic :)

      Delete
    2. It wasn't on at 8 West coast time so I missed It! Was looking forward to it too. Apparently it was on at 5 here.

      Delete
  3. The Queen and her crown! A wiggle here, a poke there. No one but her would dare to jostle it around like that. It's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is hard - one prettier than the other. As for dress: The black gown features a Bardot neckline, adorned with a violet print and a tiered skirt. The first time I saw her wearing floral. The Coat:The black velvet Catherine Walker worn for the Festival of Remembrance is exquisite. See you soon,
    XOXOXOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, Rosemea, you picked the same things I did, so I feel I have a partner in taste . . .

      Delete
  5. I voted for the Jenny Packam blue gown she wore for the royal variety performance. That gown just says “princess” all over it

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the Queen getting to actually see and play around with the Coronation crown again. Must have been fun for her. She is the best.
    Quite the most exquisite and expensive brooch. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Side Note. The Queen is wearing her "Granny's Chips" brooch. Of course. What else would one wear to view the grand Coronation Crown, lol?
      The Cullinan III, is 94.4 carats and the adjoining Cullinan IV is 63.6 carats. Quite a brooch. Quite a Queen. Quite a Coronation Crown. It is nice to be Queen. 👑

      Delete
  7. I surprised myself and voted for the pale blue EW coat and the pale pink Marchesa gown. The color of the coat is a dream while its very full gathered knee length skirt moved beautifully. The coat stood out in an amazing way against the off white walls of the museum. As for the gown, this one is regal and royal in every sense. It was perfection against the backdrop of the palace and Kate looked as if she could have been in a period film that night. Seriously special.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hesitated to vote for any dress or coat that were worn during her pregnancy because I don’t think they will be re-worn. If they could be altered there were several I really liked. Would that be likely be done or are they just put away?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I voted for the purple Seraphine maternity coat. It just looks so cozy and unpretentious and really something I'd wear. I prefer it to those A-line coat dresses which look elegant but sort of staid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh im currently inlove with the coat and all gowns im pretty sure we have a lot store these 2018 oh charlotte is the cornation will be live across the usa and canada what time for canadian tv

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel good that I narrowed my choice to two. So hard to choose. I honestly feel that Kate's wardrobe last year was fantastic! For the coat I went with the Catherine Walker Emerald Green for St. Patrick's. Loved it! And then the Navy Blue Caroline Herrera. Really liked the pleating and lines of the coat.

    I thought her McQueen for the BAFTAs was spectacular. The fabric is so rich and the neckline was perfect for Kate. Also voted for the Jenny Packham she wore for the Royal Variety Performance. The color was Kate and as ILoveElephants stated, it has "princess" all over it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Robin in Ontario15 January 2018 at 03:28

    Particularly after this poll I am noticing my own dislike for that icy blue shade. My least favourite coat and dresses. Wonder why...

    ...And my favourites were both dark green! I honestly don't know if it's a strange coincidence or not. I would have said that fit was my biggest concern, but perhaps that's not true :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The coat was a tougher decision for me, but I voted for the CW St Patrick's Day coat. And I chose the blue JP (Royal Variety) gown because I thought it looked great on Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am quite sure the Iraq Afghanistan memorial unveiling was the third, not the first time we saw that elegant Michael Kors coat. I am quite partial to it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Intrigued By Royals15 January 2018 at 03:45

    The Michael Kors coat has been worn twice before, I am pretty sure--once in Australia and then for opening a children's playground. I think it is the same one. Did you mean it was the first time she wore it with the hat? Also, could we have a poll on Kate's hats? I would love that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea. I'm hoping to wrap up the polls and the results post before the tour at the end of this month. I should be able to squeeze a hat poll in :)

      Delete
    2. Intrigued By Royals15 January 2018 at 21:29

      Yay! Thank you in advance!

      Delete
  16. I thought she’d worn the Michael Kors coat before - in Australia, maybe? Or is this just a shockingly similar one? Lots of good choices in the coat category, regardless!

    ReplyDelete
  17. When it comes to coats, Kate's style does remind me of Diana who wore beautiful coatdresses.

    With the exception of a couple of the maternity ones, I could have voted for almost any of these coats, so I chose the Missoni because I thought it would get less attention and I truly like it and the brand. I love all the Walker coats but particularly liked the Irish Guards one, also worn in France. The race is very close amongst them. I don't like the tartan coat quite as well as I prefer longer coats, finding them more elegant.

    It is truly a photo finish at the moment on the gowns. I voted for the second blue Packhamm as it was quite dazzling, although I liked both blue gowns. The lace gowns are elegant but have less character and I fear I'm just not a valance person so the Macqueen is not my favourite nor am I a bell sleeves lover - and found the pink lace too much like fancy dress.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the Marchesa gown a great deal but given the recent controversy surrounding the designers husband, I don’t think we’ll see this one again or at least not for a long time.

    Kate’s coat choices are always so hit or miss for me. When she gets it though, it’s spectacular.

    I genuinely would like to think she purposefully wears Elsa inspired gowns for little girls around the world. I think it’s charming.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm really torn between the coats, they are all so fabulous. Kate re-wore some of my absolute favourites, such as the black Goat coat with white trimmings and the Marina coat, but given the fact that Kate has worn them before and I already voted for them before, I'm more inclined to vote for some new pieces. Hence, I narrowed it down to the pale blue coat worn in Luxembourg and the Catherine Walker coat worn in Belgium... it will be extremely difficult to choose between these two. Sigh!

    However, on the gown front, it was an easy one. The ice blue Jenny Packham she wore in Paris... simply exquisite! It fitted Kate like a glove and it was the perfect combination of glamour and elegance for me :)

    Happy voting to everyone else :)

    Love Avee in SA

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Coronation was wonderful. I watched the coronation in 1953 when I was seven. It was great to see it in color tonight, plus to hear the Queen's opinions. Love that she was wearing "Granny's Chips".

    ReplyDelete
  21. Zora from Prague15 January 2018 at 08:41

    Thank you, Charlotte! I voted for the Catherine Walker black velvet coat and for the green lace Temperley dress. They are both so elegant and timeless, I think.
    I'd LOVE to watch The Coronation document, hope it will be available on YouTube or somewhere else on the Internet. A unique opportunity to listen to personal memories of HM!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It was a difficult choice ! :-(. In the end, I went for the green Temperley gown. That night, everything came together, her hair, make up, the dress, she looked beautiful !
    I loved the Emilia Wickstead blue coat dress,that she wore on her solo trip to Luxembourg. The colour and cut, was just perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the polls, Charlotte! My faves had a green theme this time; the St. Patrick’s Day coat & the green Temperley lace dress. I think green must be my favourite colour on the Duchess! I would like to see her move away from light blue shades (& blue in general!) & wear more purple/pink/yellow/apricot...& also give the lace a rest (although I did love the Temperley dress!).
    I love the Queen’s dry wit...she is so funny & charming! I’m very much looking forward to watching the entire documentary after seeing snippets of it here & there :) What an amazing & gracious lady she is...long live the Queen!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much for the messages about the Michael Kors coat. I intended to write 'It marked the third time Kate wore it'. There's an issue with editing after publishing with Pollcode polls. It tends to automatically close the polls. I'll see if there's a way around it, if not ignore my commentary on the coat :)

    Very interesting to see your votes thus far, it's a close race in the Gown poll.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The coat was easy for me to pick. There were lots of gorgeous ones but I just love the Miu Miu so much, it was clear I'd have to vote for that :) It is a perfect winter coat: tartan, velvet trim, lovely buttons, perfect cut, pretty colours and a bit of glitter.
    I'm having a hard time deciding between the Jenny Packham from the Royal Variety Performance (always love her gowns!) and the Marchesa.

    ReplyDelete
  26. She always look awesome in every royal engagements..So proud having a princess like you,god bless HRH Catherine :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think that we won't be seeing Kate wear the Marchesa gown again in light of the recent Weinstein scandal and Marchesa's connection to him, which is a shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree and it is a shame. Beautiful gown.

      Delete
    2. Yes, that's what I have been thinking, too. Same for the gorgeous red Marchesa, which is one of my all time favorites. It's a shame for the clothes but otherwise a good thing.

      Delete
  28. I hope the green Catherine Walker makes a Christmas appearance some day. What a glorious coat.
    The McQueen BAFTA gown gets my vote if only to appreciate her trying something REALLY different (not just the usual lace or Frozen cosplay gown), but in all honesty I'd vote for the gown worn by the wife of the British ambassador if I could.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Caroline in Montana15 January 2018 at 16:23

    I just love that DVF dress, I had to vote for that one, it looks so good on her! as for the coat I love the Catherine Walker Merose! I am in the minority on both:)

    I am across the pond and do not have the smithsonian chanel. does anyone know where else i can still see the coronation video??

    ReplyDelete
  30. Rebecca/Sweden, did you see the itinerary for the Swedish tour? If so, what do you think? Any surprises? The schedule is jam packed.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I think the Jenny Packham gown worn in Paris is one of Kate's best choices ever. It is a beautiful gown, it fits beautifully, and Kate's hair and accessories were perfect. A lovely choice for a black tie evening in Paris.

    About half of the coats were warm outdoor attire, and about half were coat dresses or obviously intended for summer or indoor wear. Twenty one coats sounds like quite a few, but I think this category could be divided.

    I especially like the rather modern, sleek looks such as the flame stitch Missoni and the Seraphine Marina, for which I voted. I always like the Michael Kors, but I have voted for it at least once in the past, so I chose another coat I really like. Both the Remembrance coats were beautiful, and the Miu Miu looked so nice for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love how the Queen is confidently easy with handling that priceless and precious crown, and how her sense of humor is uppermost. "It weighs a ton." . . . "Ma'am I don't suppose you've seen it much?" "No, I haven't. Thank goodness."

    ReplyDelete
  33. "The Coronation" is available on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSr0YuTidRA

    Charlotte, I rarely share a comment but I am enjoying your blog and the community you built massively. Thank you, you are great!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I loved watching The Coronation. It was such an interesting hour of history, and Her Majesty was delightful. What a treasure to have in the years to come.
    I loved several of Kate's coats, but the two that stood out for me were the Catherine Walker St Patrick's Day/Paris coat, and the Miu Miu Tartan she wore on Christmas Day. I ultimately voted for the Miu Miu.
    The gowns were a bit easier, and I chose the Temperley Green Lace.
    Thanks Charlotte for this fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I chose the hobbs celeste coast and temperley green dress

    i cant wait to watch that show with the Queen since she is rarely interviewed she is pure class.

    mel

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! Constructive discussion is always encouraged but off topic or hateful remarks will not be published.

We ask you use a name when posting (a pseudonym such as the name of a royal you like or anything you wish). If you do not wish to use the sign in options, simply select the "Name/URL" option on the drop down menu and insert your name, and if you wish the country/state you're from. You can leave the URL blank.

If there are a large number of comments, it is necessary to click the 'Load More' button at the end of the comments section to see the latest additions.