Saturday 10 July 2021

UPDATED: The Duchess in Green for Wimbledon Women's Final

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge joined a star-studded audience for this year's women's singles final at Wimbledon. Plans for Kate to make her annual appearance at the final were uncertain as she had to self-isolate after coming into contact with someone who tested positive for Covid-19. The Duchess was unable to join the Duke at events celebrating the NHS earlier this week. Wimbledon is always a highlight on the summer calendar, so it was excellent news when the Palace confirmed yesterday Kate would complete her isolation in time for the unmissable tennis weekend.

The Duke and Duchess arriving.

Indeed, it is very much a weekend of sport for the Cambridges. In addition to today's women's singles final, we'll see the Duchess at the men's finals tomorrow. Meanwhile, William will have a front row seat at Wembley on Sunday for an era defining match when England face Italy in the Euro 2020 final. It's impossible to overstate the buzz this match has created across the country. The palpable excitement and anticipation is sweeping families, friends and communities of all ages. Kick off is 8 pm and should the men's final conclude earlier than thought, I wouldn't entirely rule out seeing Kate there. It will all depend on timings of course; the tennis begins at 2pm tomorrow. Apart from the match which will see Novak Djokovic compete against Matteo Berrettini (quite a weekend for our Italian friends with both the Euros and Berrettini going for gold), the Duke of Kent is stepping down as All England Club president. I imagine well-deserved tributes and speeches are planned.

Chatting with tennis royalty Martina Navratilova and Billie Jean King.

It's been a tournament filled with surprises in women's tennis. From the heartbreaking early departure of Serena Williams to the inspiring performance from rising British star Emma Raducanu. Australian No.1 Ashleigh Barty and former No. 1 Czech Karolína Plíšková stepped out on centre court for a defining day in their careers.

The BBC reports Barty is paying homage to her idol:

'Australia's Ashleigh Barty says she "couldn't be more rapt" to play for her first Wimbledon title on the 50th anniversary of her idol Evonne Goolagong Cawley's maiden win.

Top seed Barty faces Czech eighth seed Karolina Pliskova on Saturday. It is the first time since 1977 that both women are playing in a Wimbledon final for the first time.

"To give myself a chance to create some history that's almost like a tribute to her is really exciting," said Barty. "It's a really special anniversary for Evonne."

World number one Barty has been wearing a scallop-hemmed dress at the championships as a tribute to the one Goolagong wore when she won the title in 1971. The pair spoke before the tournament, although Barty says she has not been in contact with Goolagong during the fortnight.

"I've just been kind of floating my way through and just kind of enjoying the opportunities I've had here this week," said Barty, who is bidding for her second Grand Slam title after winning the 2019 French Open.'

Meanwhile Pliskova, like Barty, is hoping for her first Wimbledon win. After losing to Angelique Kerber at the US Open in 2016, she has been working tirelessly for today. Speaking to the BBC, Pliskova said, "I think I still half can't believe it. Coming into this tournament, the dream was to make the second week because I was not in the second week for a while. I never thought about maybe going into the final." She added "hanging in there" is "extremely important".

William and Kate were seated in the Royal Box. 

Fifteen-year-old Britley Fenning performed the coin toss, representing Providence House Youth Club. The charity was chosen due to its outstanding support of young people throughout the pandemic.

The Duke and Duchess enjoying the action.

Spectators included Tom Cruise and Maggie Smith.

An overview. 

It's been a week filled with incredible scenes as people relish the return to the tournament after it was cancelled last year due to the pandemic.


The return of cheering crowds...


And of course, strawberries and cream.

It was a competitive three-set match.


Before Ashleigh Barty saw her Wimbledon dream come true..


An unforgettable day for two very talented women. 


The Duchess and the Duke of Kent were on presenting duty. 


Congratulations from Kate. 


Barty described the win as a "miracle".


The champion added: "Australians have such a rich history in sport. Being able to be a very small part of that is something I always dreamt of, to try and create a legacy, a path for young girls and boys to believe in their dreams. Learning my lessons along the way has been one of the best parts of my journey. To achieve my biggest dream, has been absolutely incredible. The stars aligned for me over the past fortnight – incredible. That it happened to fall on the 50th anniversary of Evonne's first title here, too, is absolutely."

Kate's love of tennis is most certainly a family affair. Yesterday, Michael and Carole Middleton watched the men's semi-finals from the Royal Box. In a 2017 Wimbledon documentary, Kate revealed, "Roger Federer is my mum's hearthrob." Sadly the 'Prince of Tennis' didn't make it to the finals this year, but I have no doubt we'll see him there again. Carole sported a red Scanlan Theodore dress and Kiki McDonough earrings.

Embed from Getty Images

Pippa Matthews was also courtside yesterday, wearing a Polo Ralph Lauren dress (with thanks to Middleton Maven). The gingham cotton dress is on sale at Ralph Lauren. Pippa styled it with Castaner wedges.

Embed from Getty Images

The Duchess chose an elegant short sleeve green dress for today's tennis.

It is a bespoke version of the Emilia Wickstead Denver dress (with thanks to Innominate93). The emerald green garment is described as: "Crafted from luxurious cloqué with a subtle sheen, with precise darting through the bodice and waist providing an impeccable drape as it opens to an undulating midi-length hem". It's available in limited sizing at Matches

The Duchess carried her Mulberry Amberley Crossbody bag in white small classic grain. It's currently reduced from £675 to £472 on Mulberry's website.


Kate sported her white Jimmy Choo Romy pumps. 


The Duchess accessorised with her Kiki McDonough Green Tourmaline, Green Amethyst and Diamond Earrings. They were reportedly specially made to celebrate the birth of Princess Charlotte.

Kate first wore them in India in 2016.


And Halcyon days Maya bangle. 


Thanks to the talented UFO No More team, Kate wore her RayBan Chris sunglasses.


Kate's face mask is by Amaia Kids in 'Blue Phoebe'.


I'll see you tomorrow for what promises to be a fantastic afternoon of tennis!

33 comments:

  1. Great to see the Duchess out again. Beautiful dress and her hair is gorgeous. I wish the Duke would coordinate a bit more when they are on public appearances. Like a navy and green tie to just pull their looks together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they both look great together, and I don't mind that they don't always match. Rather liking William's 'linen-like' jacket, looks very summery.

      Delete
  2. Tammy from California10 July 2021 at 16:54

    The dress and earrings in India are my favorite outfit of ALL TIME. I LOVE that dress.
    LOVE what she is wearing today and love that she brought back the earrings.

    I typically really like what Carole Middleton wears too, this one I didn't care for. Maybe a little too baggy for my taste on a woman who has such a petite figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The earrings look fantastic with this color green and Kate, yet again, makes dressing for events look so easy and elegant. While not a fan of white for shoes, it works with this event and makes for great photo ops! I'm with you on the dress for Carole, it's a bit unstructured from what she usually wears and not her usual tailored self. Love the dress Pippa wore though, and its no wonder all three of these woman have a flair for fashion, they make it look effortless. The men are looking rather dashing too I might add, William and Michael Middleton are handsome.

      Delete
    2. Valerie in Arizona10 July 2021 at 23:13

      I agree with you about Carole’s dress. I am a few years older than she is and carrying a few more pounds than she. I have a dress like that and, seeing how she loses her shape in it, I think I will be sending my dress to the charity shop. I mean, she’s still a lovely woman but I don’t think the dress does her justice, it wears her instead of vice versa. And I imagine the same is true of me in my dress.

      Delete
  3. What a great look on Dss Kate. Very nice dress and super color. I am glad she is out of isolation. Behind them Billie jean King and Martina Navratilova. Great support for the players.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The whole Middleton family looks great. I love the skirt of Kate's dress but not so fond of the cap sleeves and neckline. I have a complaint, though, and this is not for Kate but for ALL women -- it's very pretty to put all your hair in the front of your shoulders, but then we can't see your earrings. I have the same issue with Meghan -- tons of gorgeous hair and I can't see her earrings. :) In the "old days," hair was behind the shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catherine looked great. Love the dress on her, wonderful fit. Not a fan of the bright white shoes and purse with the solid green. Gorgeous earrings. Wish I had been there watching the fantastic tennis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The dress is pretty but white pointy pumps is a look I can never get behind. It makes everyone's feet look huge, especially so for someone like Kate who naturally has somewhat big feet. It also doesn't match the green dress at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Catherine’s feet are perfectly normal considering her height. That is a weird thing to comment. White shows in all styles are totally in at the moment.
      DD

      Delete
    2. White pumps are still unacceptable IMO. I read a long time ago that you should never wear white pumps and I agree with that assessment.

      Delete
  7. I can See why Cathrine and Pippa have this Gerät Fashion tast. Carol Looks stunnig every time in See her. This hat is amazing with the red Dress and with wedeges. Live that

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kate can turn simplicity into elegant beauty better than anyone. I love the green and white...and I do like the added cap sleeves. Hope she can make both events tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does make simple dressing seem quite elegant! Always appropriate and pulled together.

      Delete
    2. What a beautiful material for this dress and a stunning color of green!! The tailoring on it is impeccable and different from the one on the model, it fits Kate very well and it shows.

      Delete
    3. Wimbledon green and tennis white, only Kate can make it look great!! :)

      Delete
  9. So happy she could attend as I know she loves her tennis and Wimbledon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic day of tennis. Well done to both players. The Duchess looked beautiful today. I love the colour and cut of this dress. I think those earrings are bespoke. Very nice. I'm with you Charlotte, I hope that she can attend both events tomorrow. Maybe the will just split the day with three kids at home. I'm also hoping that the Duchess takes over from the Duke of Kent. Best woman for the job. S. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really like this dress she's wearing! :) Question though, with the Duke of Kent stepping down, can Kate become president and the patron? Or would Wimbledon appoint someone else?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think President is the top job, so she would I imagine take on that role and possibly appoint a new patron. S. ☺

      Delete
  12. I really like the style of this dress. I personally would have liked to see another color, maybe a light mauve with a pattern to it. I’d like to have seen a wedge open toed sandal instead of the pump. Are white pumps back in style? Maybe I’m out of the fashion loop, ha! Just my thoughts, but she looks great nonetheless. Love the purse and earrings 👍🏻

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kate was regal and elegant today. The flair on the bottom of the skirt really gave movement to her dress and especially for the presentation of the trophies. And agree with Anon that the tailoring is perfection - the top of that bodice is completely different from the 'rack' dress and wow does it fit impeccably. I don't have white pumps (not sure if I ever have) but I think they look nice on Kate. Also agree with Allison US, ladies, please push your hair back behind your shoulders (never saw the cute little Wimbledon bow). I have to also comment, that Kate's hair looks spectacular And good for William, staying back during the 'meet and greet' inside. Kate was center. Great match as well. :-) So happy it went 3 sets!

    ReplyDelete
  14. the duchess looks amazing I'm glad he out of the covid self isolation and great match the duchess is part of the Wimbledon without her the match will be not be great match

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like the dress. Flattering cut and colour. But the white heels….. what’s going on there? I get them if you attempt a vintage look. But she didn’t, so the association that comes up is… less flattering.
    She has so many beautiful black and brown heels or could have brought back her nude ones. Or- to be a bit bolder heels in red, maroon and burgundy (which she also owns). Wedges would have been great too, especially for sporty events but I think the style of the dress was a bit too formal for them. If she insisted on white shoes white wedges would have been ok.
    While I love her bouncy curls, I think a ponytail would have looked great too and shown off her earrings a bit better. But wedges and a ponytail were probably too casual as she was there to present.
    C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. White shoes in any style are still white shoes, and not flattering unless they are tennis shoes. Nudes or a snake skin would have been great with this dress.

      Delete
  16. Lady Dowager!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Zora from Prague11 July 2021 at 11:51

    Kate looks wonderful! Green is my probably my least favourite colour but over the years, I have come to like it on Kate.
    I found the picture of Kate handing the trophy for the player who loses the final to Karolina Pliskova (I'm proud of my fellow countrywoman although she lost!) - one of the few photos in which another lady is taller than Kate!, despite the fact that Kate is wearing pumps😊 https://sport.aktualne.cz/tenis/karolina-pliskova-finale-wimbledonu-ashleigh-bartyova/r~5e6137bce16e11ebb91a0cc47ab5f122/r~15bb5e00e19311eb9106ac1f6b220ee8/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous in green. She has such a great figure. And the white pumps aren't my first choice, but they're very, very much in style and on trend for Summer 2021.

    ReplyDelete
  19. she looks gorgeous and wills looks nice as well. green suits her and her hair is lovely. i love the earrings and i LOVE seeing the outfit and hair she sported in India that is one of her best looks ever

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kate’s hair looked fantastic and she makes a very intense green look good. Hate the white pumps. Too last century. The bust darts don’t seem placed quite right to my eye and the style emphasizes how long-waisted she is. Thank goodness for the beautiful skirt to save the silhouette. The women’s final was very emotional to watch. Kate appeared to be having a great time. Karen in Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just absolutely love them both.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think the cap sleeves on this bespoke version of the dress are cute. I might have to copy those next time I make a summer top for myself.

    Regarding the hair-in-the-front issue, I also think it looks very pretty, but if you have something to show off, such as that tennis bow, then the hair should have been styled differently. And if you're going to wear earrings that demand to be seen, definitely tuck at least one side behind the ear, even if the length falls in front of the shoulder. For this look, Kate should have had her hair half up with one side on her back and the other in front of her shoulder to allow the bow to show.

    I agree with whoever said Carole Middleton's dress is not flattering on her, and I think the fault is that the peasant-style top is best on a very slim, small-breasted woman or girl. Carole is a beautiful woman who looks great in almost anything, but not in this.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Blue and green go well together as dressed by the duke and duchess respectively.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! Constructive discussion is always encouraged but off topic or hateful remarks will not be published.

We ask you use a name when posting (a pseudonym such as the name of a royal you like or anything you wish). If you do not wish to use the sign in options, simply select the "Name/URL" option on the drop down menu and insert your name, and if you wish the country/state you're from. You can leave the URL blank.

If there are a large number of comments, it is necessary to click the 'Load More' button at the end of the comments section to see the latest additions.